1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swiss Knife In The Plane

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Corzhens, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Be aware that a swiss knife is not allowed inside the plane but it is okay when you place it in the baggage check in. The airline attendant said that a swiss knife can be used by criminals inside the plane, that's the rationale of the prohibition. In our flights to a foreign, we usually do not have baggage allowance to save on the fees since the hand-carry bag is enough for our things. What we buy with the plane ticket is the baggage allowance on our way back home.

In our last flight, I forgot to remove my swiss knife from my vanity bag which is in our hand-carry bag. It was caught by the x-ray machine. The security officer advised us to check in our baggage so the swiss knife can go otherwise it will be confiscated. And since that swiss knife is a souvenir from my father, I was forced to check in our hand-carry bag... to a very expensive charge of $20. Ouch!

2. I am not surprised that a swiss knife is subject to such stringent security controls. After all, a knife, of any kind, can be a lethal weapon in the wrong hands. In some places, there are even restrictions on liquids, ever since a potential plane bomber was caught with his wife and baby with a feeding bottle filled with liquid explosives. Here's more information on how liquids can be used to make deadly bombs: https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2006/aug/10/terrorism.world

3. Miya

Miya Active Member

Some countries, such as Japan, are super strict with this. In Japan, you are not allowed to have ANY knives or knife shaped items on the plane. My friend bought a little keychain figure of a samurai sword. It was an obvious toy and it was really small. She had it attached to her backpack which she was carrying on as a personal item. Customs made her take the figure off and send it because it wasn't allowed on the plane.

So not jus swiss knives, but knives in general are pretty taboo on the plane.

4. Ava

Ava Member

I'm surprised you risked taking it on board as if would have been confiscated in the UK. You cannot board with sharp items and I the TSA in the US don't permit it either;
    "Most knives are not allowed past the security checkpoint (including, but not limited to, pocket knives, folding or retractable blades regardless of blade length or composition, box cutters, X-ACTO® knives, scissors with a pointed tip, straight razors, and Leatherman® or Victorinox Swiss Army® knives). Plastic knives and round-bladed butter knives are permitted in carry-on baggage."

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/Pages/TSA-security-guidelines.aspx

Basically, it's not worth taking with you, which is why checking in some luggage has advantages. There is still a terrorist threat in the world which is why these rules exist. I used to work at Heathrow and confiscate sharp items, but we would give people the chance to go and check them in or leave it with someone if it was something valuable.

5. Swiss army knives and knives have always been problematic when boarding an airplane. My mom worked at an airport and I don't remember anyone being able to carry one onto the plane. But I remember one summer, we took a present of kitchen knives in the cargo. But that was way before nine/eleven, can't imagine doing that now without getting security called on you.

6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I had a sewing kit confiscated from me in Australia...that had just small sewing needles and thread that I had in my backpack! So yes - those metal detectors were definitely doing their job, picking up the tiniest amounts of metal. Even though they confiscated it, it did make me feel a bit safer knowing that they are really diligent with anything that could be classed as a weapon.

7. I once had a compass that they confiscated from me. In my head, I was imaging a protractor, for some reason and didn't know why it bothered the alarms. They took it and threw it away because it had a pointy end. I don't know how they thought an eight year old was going to do with a compass but it's kind of obsessive at this point.

8. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Yeah, I understand that sharp objects are not allowed on planes because they can be used as a weapon to commit a crime. But I remember when I first went abroad, it was a packaged tour to Hongkong and we were in the business class of Emirates airlines. The implements for the meal were silverware - spoon, fork, knife. It may be embarrassing but I have to admit that we brought home those silverware for souvenir and in fact we are using that same silverware for our meals here at home. So for me and my husband, we have special spoon and fork.

9. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Wow! I can't imagine what an 8 year old would do threatening people with a compass on a plane either...I guess they are really strict on the rules and that it just doesn't matter your age demographic, they'll confiscate it. I think that in the interests of safety they just can't discriminate - but I would never ever have thought of the tiny point on a compass as something that could be a weapon. It is somewhat reassuring though that they are so thorough with their checks!