1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Take Your Own Towels Or Use The Hotel Ones?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Ava, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Ava

Ava Member

In most Asian hotels (budget) they don't give you towels to use, and if they do you only get one and not always a high quality one. Packing towels is bulky and the ones that dry fast aren't much fun to use.

What I do is take a hand towel and use that, and also a sarong to dry myself as these are much easier to dry and also to fold up and travel with. Some towels look so nasty that you don't want to use them, so from a hygiene perspective I would recommend taking a towel with you to Asian countries unless you are staying in a 4 or 5 star hotel. Do you take towels with you, or don't mind the hotel towels?

2. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I only take my own if it's stated that the hotel doesn't provide them - I find that otherwise they can take up a bit of space! I have had times where I've stayed in backpackers hostels and I find there it's easier to bring your own - the best I have found was a small microfiber towel - it doesn't take up much space at all and dries super quickly (which has to be a big consideration when traveling, I find!) so I really recommend those :)

3. I don't tend to go to hotels that don't provide a couple towels. But if they don't, I'll just buy one when I'm there and send it back with the souvenirs. I think its a really smart idea to just have hand towel and a sarong though, I think I'll do that in the future. I usually air dry my hair instead of packing a hair dryer so why not the rest of me.

4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I never bring a hair dryer either - I like the look of naturally dried hair better, really!

And I like your idea about just getting a souvenir type towel - I often see those at markets and things like that when I travel!

5. Ava

Ava Member

I have been known to buy towels too, because it's just more comfy to have a nice towel. I have very long hair and trying to dry my hair with a threadbare towel doesn't work.

I do ask and look if towels are provided, and some Asian countries their idea of a towel is what I would call a tea towel to dry your hands only. That's why I use my sarong more often. I take a couple; one to use, and a spare because I also use it as a bed sheet if need be. Plus hanging them out to dry doesn't look so tacky on the balcony! Some places don't allow you to put laundry out, but bathing suits and things are acceptable.

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

We seldom bring towels when we travel because we rely on the provided towel by the hotel. And in case there is no provisions in the hotel, we are forced to buy new towels.

Most hotels we booked lately are expensive so for sure towels are included in the list of provisions.