1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tasmania

Discussion in 'Australia' started by amelia88, May 20, 2016.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Tasmania was one of the coolest places I visited when I was in Australia.

One of the things I loved the most in Tasmania was a Tassie Devil wildlife sanctuary I went to, called Devils at Cradle. It's not too far from Cradle Mountain itself, which is stunningly beautiful.

http://www.devilsatcradle.com/

If you are interested in wildlife and nature I highly recommend Tasmania as a place you should check out!

CradleMountain.

2. maxen57

maxen57 Member

Tasmania would be a dream for someone who would like to experience outdoor adventures a lot. Strahan, Bruny Island and St. Helens offers fishing and seafood specialties. The beach is perfect for the honeymooners. The West Coast and Devonport are locations where one can enjoy backpacking and going off into the wilderness. Hobart, Launceston and Port Arthur is where city mongers can enjoy local dining, city attractions, museums and other historical landmarks.

3. Lynk

Lynk Member

Wow, it looks so beautiful! I never thought of visiting Tasmania, but now you have me searching all about it. Do you think it's better to go on a guided tour, or plan your own itinerary? I love the great outdoors but I'm not a very skilled backpacker.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Ever since I saw the cartoon of a Tasmanian Devil, I was already amused by Tanzania and the neighboring countries of New Zealand and Australia. It's not really the Tasmanian Devil but the place itself that looked fairy tale material in photos. Although the region is not as far as London or America to us, going to the south is quite difficult because it is not a popular destination which means there are no discounted plane tickets. Unlike countries in Asia where Filipinos roam everyday, discounted plane tickets are easy to purchase online.

Maybe in the far future when I finally retire, the first adventure would be either Australia, New Zealand or Tasmania. Who know, maybe all those 3 places.

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I just planned my own! I flew into Launceston from Melbourne (you can often find pretty cheap flights on some of the budget carriers) and then I just rented a car and drove around myself! It wasn't too hard at all. Plenty of beautiful national parks and things like that!

6. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

If I was to name a place that would perfectly fit for "the edge of the world" description, I'd probably go for Tasmania. It's so far away from so many places. You have to make a huge effort to get there as there are probably no straight flights for you If you live outside Austraila.

I've never been there before but I would definitely like to see Tasmania some day :)

7. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Yes! It's definitely isolated but you can get flights from Sydney or Melbourne for pretty cheap, and I definitely think it's worth the trip! I don't think there are any direct international flights though like you said, you'd have to fly into one of those bigger cities first.

I'm one of those people that loves the outdoors though, I would go back in a heartbeat just for Cradle Mountain alone. The tracks and paths around there are seriously stunning if you're into hiking/the outdoors :)

8. Miya

Miya Active Member

I watched a travel show about Tasmania once and it looked great. It's definitely one of the places I want to hit up in the future even though I'm not a very outdoorish person. If I ever get a chance to visit Australia, I'll definitely go to Tasmania. I heard you can donate money to "adopt" a Tasmanian Devil there. Now, that's something I'd love to do.

9. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

What other things are there to see in Tasmania? That place doesn't look attractive here unlike Australia which is well known for kangaroo and koala. Aside from the Tasmanian Devil, what other animals are there in Tasmania? Do they still have the tribesmen called aborigine doing their rituals and wearing their native attire? Is it true that there were head hunters in that place a long time ago? And what food can they offer aside from the kiwi fruit, what vegetables and special dishes do they have? Sorry for the series of questions, I am actually gathering data for personal use.

10. http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/australia-...date-dinosaurs-destroyed-by-bushfires-1540989

Kind of sad that part of it has been burned down. But Tasmania has a forest that pre-dates the dinosaurs and hasn't changed much from the original plant found in fossils. It would be fascinating to see the forest that once protected dinosaurs, then mega fauna (especially huge marsupials), and now supports our smaller modern animals before the next bushfire. I've seen pictures of the deep parts of the forest with tangles branches and roots and it looks awesome.

11. Miya

Miya Active Member

@Corzhens - In the travel show I watched, you can pick fresh strawberries and apples in some farms in Tasmania. It looked really fun. You can also take a boat to one of the islands. There are dolphins along the way and it's quite a sight apparently.

I also remember there being some local markets selling handmade crafts and homemade foods. I can't remember the name of it, but it is quite popular so maybe you can Google it and find out.

I also don't know much about Tasmania, but I think it'd be a nice place to visit if I happened to be in Australia and had some extra time.

Corzhens likes this.
  12. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

@Miya, my husband and I are fond of strawberries that during our trip to Beijing last year, we brought home some kilos of their huge and very sweet strawberries only to be disappointed at home to find the strawberries bruised due to the trip. And if only for those strawberries, I guess a trip to Tasmania is worth it. We don't go much for the sea creatures like whales or dolphins because we have them here. But those apples, I still have to see a real apple tree and it would be exciting for me to pick apples from the tree.