1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Temperatures

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Quazi, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Quazi

Quazi Member

What is the max temperature you'd feel comfortable in if you were planning on trekking around and seeing the sites of a region?

Obviously is there was swimming involved it wouldn't be so bad, but what if you're trudging around ruins or greenery?

2. integrity101

integrity101 New Member

Anything above 38 degrees centigrade would be suicidal for me. I come from a region that is hot all through the year and can survive reasonably high temperatures for a limited period of time.

3. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I am not very good with heat. my body temperature is 1 degree Celsius lower than average so I am on 35 degrees usually. This means that I feel the heat more that guys with 36 degrees. It doesn't seem much but for body temp it is actually drastic. I like the spring temperature bellow 30 degrees. Around 26 would be the best. In Serbia now it is the hottest April since the measuring began and that was in 19th century. It is 33 right now and I am melting down.

4. Quazi

Quazi Member

@djordjem87 do you find that you sweat less with exertion?
    I sweat all the time and can't deal with anything above 30.

5. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

Sweating is really a good thing. If you don't sweat, that is a problem. I believe that I sweat normally but my problem is overheating of the brain. To fox this I drink hot drinks during the summer and the great heat. It is very good solution because you accommodate your body on an instant extreme heat that is even higher that the one outside and after that your body feels those 38 degrees as cooling down because it was just affected by drink of over 40 degrees. it is like you play in snow and you wash your hands with cold water and you feel like it hot. That is because your temperature at the moment is lower. So this is just vice versa thing.

Valerie likes this.
  6. Quazi

Quazi Member

Good tip about the drinking a hot drink! I don't have that problem though as I can think about sweating and I start :p

I can understand why some people just laze around a pool when it is really hot, but I wouldn't want to spend £1000s to go on holiday to not be able to explore without the heat knocking me out.

Do you think it is something you can get used to in a relatively short space of time?

7. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

^This is solid advice. It definitely works, especially if you're quite tolerant to heat. For me, I get overheated extremely easily, so sometimes when I drink something hot then go out into the heat, I get way too hot and feel ill.
    So I've learned to drink tepid tea or water to keep my body from reacting adversely to higher temperatures.

Of course, the temperature I function at best is 22-25 degrees Celsius. Colder, I'm miserable. Warmer, I get woozy. It's problematic haha. I don't think I'd survive for long in a desert or the Savannah.

8. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

My cousin has a friend who had been to Kenya. He said that temperature in Africa is much higher than the usual maximum 35 degrees C here. But you have to wear thick clothes so the insects would not feast on your skin. But the sweat is not much since the humidity is low during the daytime. And at night, there is the comfort of the inn. There were times in the savannah that you can smell like something is burning but there was no smoke. Maybe it is because of the excessive heat that exudes the odor of the dried leaves and parched ground.

I couldn't move and join any activity in temperatures higher than 33 degrees C. It might complicate my hypertension.

9. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I would say that my max if I'm outside doing something in the heat like hiking is probably 27 Celsius - anything hotter than that just sees me complaining the whole time about how hot it is. Usually if I'm structuring a trip predominantly around hiking or outdoorsy activities, I try and avoid the hotter times of year - it just seems to be more enjoyable all around if the weather isn't too hot (or too cold, for that matter!)

I think certain places though are kind of difficult to avoid the heat (places close to the equator for instance that have a warm climate year round) so in those situations I just try and pack accordingly and have lots of breathable clothes.

10. Quazi

Quazi Member

We tested a boat last weekend - it was probably the sunniest and hottest day this year so far.
    Not only was it too hot to be enjoyable, it was actually possible for it to be too sunny too!
    The light was bouncing of the water, adding to getting everything heated up.
    Spending the day squinting gave us headaches. Have been too used to winter and forgot to take a cap with me, will learn for next time.
    Bonus though is that we got a nice even tan as the sunlight was coming from above and below :p

11. Phileas80

Phileas80 Member

It really depends on how much time you'll be out trekking, the longer you're out in the open the higher the possibility of discomfort and adverse health effects. Anything above 30 degrees can be problematic if you plan on exerting a lot of energy. Another factor to think about is the time of the day you'll be out trekking, if you can miss being out when the sun is at its strongest then you should be able to trek and move around for much longer.

12. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

Seeing as you are from the UK... you mean it was less rainy than usual and not that cold? :D Sun and warmth aren't terms associated with your weather! :p

But more onto the topic, I really don't care how hot it is. I enjoy the heat. :) Just need to pack accordingly, bring enough water and rest when needed.

13. Quazi

Quazi Member

Normally you would be spot on but for once it was actually really hot and plenty of sun :p
    It's gone back to being rainy, misty and windy today.....typical British summer weather :)

I've got to that age where when I'm walking in the heat, I not only balance my water consumption to how much I sweat but also with the next opportunity to go for a wee :p

Resting in the heat I find saps more energy than if I'm walking in it, not sure why that is

14. Lynk

Lynk Member

I lived in Phoenix Arizona for many years so I know I can handle the heat, but the humidity kills me! There are some places I have travelled where it's very hot and very humid both, and I have a really hard time getting enough energy to really go exploring. I think this could be easily managed though travelling to Africa, it is such a big continent there are many places to visit where the temperatures are reasonable. Of course, planning the time of year comes into play here also.

15. Coco

Coco Active Member

Since I am from a tropical country, I'm quite used to the heat and humidity. Just yesterday, the reported maximum temperature here was 36°C and that actually feels like 41°C. Just a few weeks ago, it went up to 40°C even. And although it was uncomfortable, we were able to survive it. My son and I even went walking for two hours around our village despite the heat. It was a bit tiring though and we were sweating so much that are clothes were drenched in sweat.

And it might be harder when you're trekking in these temperatures since you're going uphill. So anything lower than these temperatures might be the optimum. You might even suffer from heat stroke if you go beyond these temperatures and combine that with difficult trekking.

I guess it depends on the physical stamina and endurance of a person. Another factor would be his or her exposure to harsher temperatures. And for people who live in tropical countries, they might have a bit of an advantage in this scenario.

16. Rachel

Rachel Member

I spent a day walking around Pompeii a few years ago; it was around 35 degrees and the heat was quite incredible. I don't mind wandering around in the heat, but you have to be so careful not to dehydrate! I always make sure I have plenty of water, and I also take a couple of rehydration powders with me, to drink throughout the day. I have suffered from dehydration before and being admitted to hospital and put onto a drip, slap bang in the middle of your holiday is no fun, let me tell you!

17. maxen57

maxen57 Member

Truthfully, I would rather stay anywhere cool. A trip under the hot sun is barely a vacation for me. If I cannot relax, it's not going to be enjoyable. Then again, I'd rather that the place be not too rainy then a humidity would set in after. Unless I'm going to stay in a room with a proper ventilation, I will just be all sticky and hot and I won't be able to sleep at night too.

18. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1 New Member

It would probably be hot as fire but maybe it would be interesting. I think the wars in Africa need to stop before I visit the continent. I don't think people should visit unless they want to really live there.

19. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I agree with you. It's not much of the temperature that can deter a tourist but the peace and order of the place. Right now there is an issue on the kidnapping of 3 foreigners down south of the Philippines - 2 foreigners were already killed when the ransom was not paid and the captors are still holding 1 Norwegian which is their last card. If I were a tourist, those incidents would certainly put me off. So in the case of Africa, I would probably check first of the peace and order before I make a plan of going there. Before we bought a plane ticket for Bangkok last year, we checked with friends there because we have read in the papers that it is martial law in Thailand. When we confirmed that there's no problem then we bought tickets - we were there last March.

20. Valentino

Valentino Member

I've lived in some very hot places and sort of got used to high temperatures. Though yeah I can tolerate temperatures of up to 30 degrees Celsius, if that's hot all day, I don't think I'd do much trekking. If there's some greenery I wouldn't mind long treks because as long as there are a few trees or shrubs along the way, there will be some shade when you can't stand the heat anymore.

21. Francis

Francis New Member

I usually find it comfortable to be in a place where the temperature is under 40 degrees Celsius. I don't like travelling while sweating a lot. I will also prefer staying indoors if I feel uncomfortable to travel. Swimming is another option but can't guarantee to cool yourself whenever travelling.

22. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I remember my husband's story when he was assigned work in London. He went there in June when it was nearing summer and he had no problem with the weather. However, as months passed and the season shifted to autumn, the cold air started to bother him. He would wake up at night with rashes on his thighs and legs, worse even his back was affected, oh, it was difficult to scratch the back, huh. When October brought the cold winds, he had requested to be relieved so he could go home. He came home on the first week of November just because of the cold weather.