1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Best Places To Watch Football???

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Phileas80, May 13, 2016.

1. Phileas80

Phileas80 Member

This is actually an open question and I would like answers relating to anywhere on earth that football is played. I placed this in the Europe section as it seems a logical place to start. As a born and bred Londoner there's nowhere better than Wembley Stadium but there are so many great clubs and stadiums around the world that I hope to visit. Let me know your favs!!!!

2. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

Haha, my first response was, "As in aside from a raucous pub in London?"

I've actually had a great FIFA experience here in Japan. There's a London-style pub chain called "The Hub." During the football season a few years back, a few friends and I went to The Hub, where we got free Guinness beers and were allowed to cheer as loudly as we wanted during the games. It was pretty magical. Usually you have to be slightly contained in public in Japan.

There's a few great bars in New Jersey, USA, where I'm originally from. The first is The Old Oar House in South Jersey, which is Irish style and very noisy. The outside Beer-garden in the summer and autumn is a fun gathering spot for sports fans.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Well, my favorite for atmosphere and fun was in Australia, watching Australian Rules Football at the MCG in Melbourne.

The fans are all so passionate about the sport, and it's a fast moving game. I don't know if you meant any kind of football or if you specifically mean soccer. If you're talking soccer, I've never actually seen a live soccer game to know where is good or not!

I also think though like Valerie said, sometimes it's just fun to go to a pub/bar and watch the sport on TV with others, rather than attending the game live in person.

4. Phileas80

Phileas80 Member

Yeap, you can't really beat a noisy bar with a big screen whilst surrounded by friends. I know Japan has a great football culture and I've seen a few games there, will put a sports pub on my to do list.

5. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I will have to be biased about this and say JNA. Now, if you are a football fan you know about Partizan and Red Star rivalry and the atmosphere the supports can make. I think this city duel is ranked among top 5 in the world. Recently it is a bit more about hooligans killing each other but it always about good games and leaving the heart on the pitch. I would also go to see Athens derby.

This one was played in 1995. You may recognize some players from that period like Savo Milosevic. He went to play Aston Villa after this and of course Sasa Curcic, Darko Kovacevic, Dejan Petkovic.