1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The English National Trust

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Rachel, May 4, 2016.

1. Rachel

Rachel Member

I recently joined the National Trust, which is a conservation charity dedicated to preserving and restoring places of historic and cultural interest and value in England and Wales. For the princely sum of £6.00 a month I now benefit from free entry to hundreds of wonderful places, from castles to medieval ruins, to wonderful gardens, areas of natural beauty and other amazing places. It's quite honestly the bargain of the century and I can't recommend it highly enough. Not only that, but I also get free parking too. I could still access these places if I wasn't a member, but the costs would soon mount up, as I like to explore!

If this is your kind of thing then I cannot recommend the National Trust highly enough. Not only am I directly contributing to the preservation of places of historical and cultural value, but I am enjoying some wonderful days out.

Do you have anything like the National Trust in your country?

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

That is a pretty good deal for everyone. I guess it's a yearly subscription or something like that? So more for locals instead of tourists?

3. Rachel

Rachel Member

Well, yes and no. If you are visiting the UK for a month or so, and want to visit a few different National Trust sites, it's worth signing up and then cancelling the direct debit after the first month. My sister did that last time she visited.

4. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

That is indeed a fantastic deal. I think its great that you can put your money into preserving the beautiful places around your area and get access to see your money at work. And free parking? Whoa.

I don't think there was anything like that in America where I'm from. My city had a Historical Society, but it was very inactive. I tried reaching out to them several times, yet unless you want to provide a humongous donation,
    they didn't want to hear it. So I think they kind of folded up. As for Japan, I think there might be something like the National Trust, though I've yet to find access to it. If there is something like that (as I know there is always
    ongoing maintenance of temples and shrines), I'd probably join depending on the price of membership.

5. crimsonghost747

Ok that's a pretty amazing deal for tourists then. I'm sure that you'll definitely get your moneys worth if you get access to many places for just £6 during your trip.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

The national trust is a wonderful thing, don't get me wrong, but I'm always a little uneasy when it comes to paying to go to places that really I think should be free.

I know that there are stately homes and castles that wouldn't be renovated like they are without organisations like the national trust, but I've also been to conservation areas that me personally, I wouldn't have thought should be limited access.

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

It would be great to have something like that National Trust here in the Philippines. All I know is the Arts and History Month festival conducted by NCCA (National Commission for Culture and the Arts) where they go on a caravan tour to the provinces. One can offer to be a volunteer in performance like if you are a singer of a dancer (mostly of folk songs and cultural dances). We have lots of historical places here aside from museum and I think that National Trust is a good idea. Even in Manila, we have the Fort Santiago which used to be a Japanese garrison in the second world war. It is one of the most popular historical place.

8. Rachel

Rachel Member

Problem is that the majority of the places that the National Trust curate, wouldn't still be here if people weren't paying to see them. Personally, I'm happy to support our national heritage.

9. sararas

sararas Member

In this day and age, while it's more humane and nationalistic to offer these things for free, it just isn't realistic financially. Restoration alone will cost a lot, and you still have wages to pay for people who manages them. So, it's pretty understandable to me that a form of income-generation mechanism is set up. The most important thing is there are people enough to care for these places. A big part of a nation is its history. In my mind, only when you have very deep sense of history can you fully have understanding of your people and your country. Old places in ruins are just the very things to remind the younger generation of what happened to their people in the past. Without efforts on restoration or even just preserving what's left of ruins will leave the young generation ignorant of their past and no appreciation of their country.

Rachel likes this.
  10. crimsonghost747

It's pretty similar to other similar places that are usually owned/managed by the government or the city. Such as museums, theatres etc. You pay for entry but the majority of the cash required for upkeep does not come from the entry fees, it's just a way to pay for part of the expenses and the rest is tax money.

In the end nothing is free, if upkeep is required then someone will be paying for it one way or another.

Rachel likes this.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I don't think that people have a problem with paying towards the upkeep the national treasures if you want to call them that, but the national trust owns a lot of land that don't exactly require any upkeep.

Paying £6 to park your car next to a beach for 2 hours is a little much in my opinion, and will put people off visiting rather than attracting them.

12. crimsonghost747

That is horrible. Parking is one of the things that I really think should be free, unless it's a parking building made specifically for that purpose. I hate having to pay for parking pretty much everywhere nowadays and often I park a bit further away from the attraction where it's free. I don't mind walking and as always, voting with our wallet does much more than speaking about the issue.

13. Rachel

Rachel Member

Even at £6.00 it's still less expensive than the car parking cost in my local city centre. And car parking charges are a fact of life. They ain't going anywhere - you gotta pick your battles in this life. Just sayin'... :D:p:rolleyes:

I have been to a number of sites and parked for free, prior to being a member, and then paid to get into the site or the areas of the site that are not free. But in the big scheme of things, I don't mind paying a few quid to park the car - if there's three or four of you it's probably £1.00 each - you can't even buy a loaf of bread for a quid in England so it's really just pocket change these days. :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2016