1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Longest Christmas In The Philippines

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Corzhens, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Christmas in the Philippines officially starts on December 16 and ends on the first Sunday of January (except when it falls on January 1). But in practice, Christmas decorations are up and about right after November 1 when we observe religious holiday All Saints Day as a counterpart of Halloween. Some homes have their Christmas trees. But the malls and supermarkets are already playing Christmas songs as early as September, huh. Talk about excited people. And if you want to experience a nice Christmas, come to Manila on the 3rd week of December to savor the traditional lantern parade, nightly caroling, food galore, etc.

2. That's a really long Christmas holiday. So that means all the schools and government offices are closed during that time, right? How about the banks? I cannot imagine the banks closing for that long, unless it's possible to do banking online and there are Cash Deposit Machines located conveniently. How does such a long holiday affect businesses? Is it good for business?

3. Miya

Miya Active Member

It's interesting that Christimas in the Philippines is a period, not just a day. I'm also interested to know how school holidays work. In America, we get a "winter vacation" that is decently long, but it's for both Christmas and New Year's. We start putting up Christmas decorations after Thanksgiving (near end of November).

In Japan, Christmas is not celebrated at all and it's not a public holiday. Public employees still have to work and kids still have to go to school if school is in session then. But people still put up Christmas decorations such as lights and ornaments outside their house. Isn't that interesting? No one really celebrates Christmas, but we still have Christmas decorations up xD

4. christine

christine New Member

In the Philippines, the holidays for students last from Dec 20th to Jan 3 or 4 while the banks and offices are usually down on Dec 24 and 25, Dec 30, 31, and Jan 1. The Dec 30 holiday is the day dedicated for Dr. Jose Rizal, the national hero while the 31st and Jan 1st are New Year holidays. There are companies that opt to close their offices up to Jan 1st and those that allow employees to use their vacation leave but most operate in between holidays.

Only the malls are making a long holiday out of Christmas for obvious reasons but it's an otherwise austere and quiet celebration for many people. Sure there are plenty of sales before December but these are regular whole year round events. The big difference is once December sets in, the malls starts to implement longer working hours.

People here tend to spend more for New Year celebrations in the hope that it will attract good luck for the coming year.

The Dec 16 marker marks the start of catholic dawn masses but that's just for Catholics.

5. Thank you for the information @christine . I have some Filipino friends but I have never been to The Philippines. Can you give me an idea of how much I need to spend for, say, a one-week holiday there, excluding return airfare? Don't make it a luxury holiday in five-star hotels. Just something reasonable and comfortable. How much would that cost?