1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things to Do In Nepal

Discussion in 'Asia' started by vinaya, Sep 25, 2015.

1. vinaya

vinaya Member

Nepal, the home of world's highest mountains including Everest and Annapurna, is a small country sandwiched between India and China. Nepal is an ancient nation and you can still see over one thousand years old monuments in the country. If you are thinking to visit the country, here are some of the things to do in Nepal

1. Sightseeing in Kathmandu, Patan, Bhaktapur and Kirtipur. In these cities and towns, you can see 4th through 18 the centuries landmarks.

2. Visiting ancient Buddhist temples like Swyambhu and Boudha. These temples are UNESCO heritage sites.

3. Everest is definitely one of the best places to see in Nepal. You can either trek to the Everest Base Camp, go on a mountain flight, or go Everest Expedition

4. Annapurna mountain range is world famous travel destination. You can trek to Annapurna Base Camp or go on Annapurna expedition

8. Jungle Safari in Chitwan National Park and Bardia National Park. Chitwan is famous for one horned rhino and Bardia is wonderful place to spot royal Bengal tiger

2. Rubie

Rubie Member

Everest is the most common landmark of your country because that's the only place that I am familiar with. How is Everest toured? Is it only by climbing? I have heard that the mountain is already off-limit to inexperienced climber. How can a non-climber visit the place then?

3. vinaya

vinaya Member

There are different ways to see and experience Everest.
    Everest Expedition: If you are a mountaineer, this is for you. You pay a hefty royalties to Nepal government,hire porters and guides and for for Everest Expedition.
    Everest Base Camp Trek: If you are good on legs and can do walking in the mountains, this one is for you. It takes about 11 days to reach Everest Base Camp.
    Mountain Flight: If you cannot climb Everest or trek to Everest Base Camp, you can board a plane and see the mountains from the plane window.

4. Rubie

Rubie Member

If ever I have the chance to visit the Everest, I'll probably prefer Mountain Flight. I bet its good to see the highest mountain from above. Does the plane reaches the top for sight-seeing? How does it cost?

vinaya likes this.
  5. vinaya

vinaya Member

@Rubie when you take a mountain flight you will get an opportunity to see Annapurna and Everest very close. The plane flies almost parallel to the summits. The flight takes off from Kathmandu or Pokhara and it is about one hour. It does not cost much considering what you can experience. It is under $100.

Rubie likes this.
  6. Rubie

Rubie Member

Thank you for the information @vinaya. I've heard about Annapurna too and its also one of the best tourist destination in Nepal. Well, if i could see both mountains from above, then they're probably not so long distance apart, am I right? Having a plane to see the beauty of two mountains is expectacular. I can't imagine how it feels to be there.

7. planetX

planetX Member

I heard a lot about a temple called Pashupatinath in Kathmandu. It is famous for its architecture with large double roofed pagoda of brass and gilt of gold. It looks gorgeous in picture.

The temple is on the banks of Bagmati river in eastern Kathmandu, which is dedicated to Lord Shiva. It is believed that those who die at Pashupatinath are reborn as human only regardless of any curse they have. It is also said that the exact day of death can be predicted by astrologers of the temple.

The temple looks both attractive and mysterious to me. I wish if I can go there once.

8. vinaya

vinaya Member

Pashupatinath temple is revered by the Nepalese people as well Hindus from India and elsewhere.It is three tier pagoda style temple. The history of tem0ple dates back to the beginning of history of Nepal (before the beginning of common era), however, the current temple was built in 15th century. The temple had survived the 8.1 M earthquake in 1933, however, the 2015 earthquake damaged the pinnacle.

9. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

Nepal is a cold place, isn't it? What is the average temperature there during the summer-time? It seems like anyone traveling there would have to pack well considering the local weather and take into account any adverse weather situations. What is the best time of the year to visit Nepal?

10. Myrr

Myrr Member

When I was younger, my friends and I wanted to go to Nepal, of course to climb Everest. But years passed and now, I don't think I will be able to climb it. I'll just probably admire it from the base camp.

11. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I am not physically fit for a climb to the Everest but definitely I would want to see even the view downstairs. If we can go to the foot of the Everest then that would be good enough for me. I have heard that some temples in Nepal are ancient and that's what I want to see. We had been to Bangkok last month and we went to 3 temples. Although I am a Catholic, I admire the beauty and architecture of the Buddhist temples and also the Hindu temples that I had seen in Singapore. And after the sightseeing, maybe we can immerse in the Nepali culture.