1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This Dying Village In Cyprus

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Francis, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Francis

Francis New Member

I never knew or even read of such a village which nearly all it's inhabitants are ageing. If I had joined any travelling club, then we must have planned to all meet their. Louroujina or Akıncılar is the most southern point of North Cyprus. According to ''The Village That Is Dying'', an Al Jazeera documentary, the village has lived through a turbulent history. After watching the documentary, I thought of visiting the village. So many questions arose in my mind - if what is seen as negative developments can attract me then their must be something wrong in Akıncılar. I think that Akıncılar should be in lists of many travellers who may wish to see how the aged can integrate their world to suit them.

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

That's an interesting village. Seeing as I haven't got my hands on this documentary, can you tell us why this is happening? Are all the young people simply moving away to bigger cities in search of education/jobs?

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I agree with @crimsonghost747 that it's an interesting village. However, it doesn't look like a tourist spot so why would I go there just because it is a dying village? Maybe I can just send my donation to help the poor children there but a tourist would be in a great risk to be in a poor village like that. Understandably, a tourist's first concern is his safety and protection from criminals. In the southern part of our country, 2 foreigners were already beheaded by their captors who are bandits with kidnap-for-ransom as their business. The tourists, a Mr. Ridsdale from Canada and Mr. Hall from (Netherlands, I think) have been beheaded one after the other for failure of their families to pay the ransom.

Pardon me for this negative comment about that village in Cyprus. I am just being honest in my opinion because I am a traveler and that's how I feel.

4. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

Just because the people there are old, it doesn't mean the village is poor! And especially if there is just old people... who's going to kidnap you?! :D

5. ZipMedia

ZipMedia New Member

China is up in controversy as well when it comes to villages dying. A lot of architectural developments are hindering local populations that rely on the land around them for nourishment. I'm under the impression that China is just naturally like that considering their government history though.

Some countries have practically no other industry, on the other hand. All these new-age millennials are paying thousands just to let the Sherpas literally drag them by the dozens up Mount Everest. Countries like these take tourism to a sad extreme just to profit from it.