1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tourism in the UK

Discussion in 'Europe' started by pwarbi, Sep 29, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

While there's no doubt that the UK as its charms, it seems that less and less people are actually coming to visit the UK, and when they do they're only visiting London.

How many have you have been to the UK, and furthermore, how many of you on here see it as a tourist destination?

2. Waqsi

Waqsi New Member

Personally, I have never been to UK but recently one of my friend shifted there for studies in London. There's no doubt that London is the most beautiful and one of the most visited city in the world. I asked my friend about the city and he said he is just blown away with the beauty of that place. The city is a kind of its own and has everything to please the visitors. Be it the street food, shopping or night life.
    I wish to visit London at least once in my life as I'm a big fan of that city. I hope my dream comes true some day. :)

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

London is a wonderful city and that might sound biased as I live in England but some of the tourist attractions are amongst the best in the world.

Going outside of London though England as a lot to offer as a country and cities like Manchester and Liverpool are also well known for giving a lot to the world, football and music just being 2 examples.

4. Future_Martian

Future_Martian New Member

I had been in the UK and London is not my favorite place. My favorite place there is Glasgow in Scotland. I just like the simplicity of life in the highlands and I am a huge fan of their haggies. I know many people think its gross because it is sausage made of animal organs but I find it very tasty. It is a good meal while drinking Whiskey with my friends. Back in London, there is a chippery there known as Bailey's Fish and Chips and it is heaven on earth. I always visit that place over and over again because their Fish is not saggy and their french fries is better than McDonalds.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

Scotland also is a beautiful place to go but your right about the food, and I don't think it will be to everybody's taste.

Of course you can get any cuisine you want all over the UK but some of the local specialities can be a bit unique, shall we say!

6. serbog

serbog New Member

From what I heard United Kingdom is really great, and I would love to visit it someday. I would like to visit London, but also the other places like Wales are also great.

7. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

I have been to the UK several times. I would never describe it as a tourist destination though... London has some nice sights and shopping stuff for the ladies but thats's about it. I just don't see the charm... there are so many places to go with much more character, more things to do and more beautiful things to see.

8. Benoit W

Benoit W New Member

1. Trаnspоrt will bе suprеmеly punсtuаl whеn yоu аrе running lаtе fоr it. It will bе running lаtе whеn yоu аrе punсtuаl. I оnсе hаd а sеriеs оf lаtе trаins аll wееk, thеn gоt stuсk in trаffiс tаking my sоn tо thе stаtiоn аt thе wееkеnd. Wе rаn оn tо thе plаtfоrm а sесоnd аftеr thе trаin wаs duе tо lеаvе, оnly tо wаtсh it pulling оutеxасtlyоn timе.

2. If yоu'rе driving, thеrе саn bе а ridiсulоusly lоng gаp bеtwееn pеtrоl (gаs) stаtiоns. This will аlwаys hаppеn whеn thе lоw fuеl indiсаtоr is shоwing оn yоur dаshbоаrd. Аlоtоf pеtrоl stаtiоns hаvе сlоsеd оvеr thе lаst twеnty yеаrs, just аs саrs hаvе inсrеаsеd. It dоеsn't sееm tо mаkе sеnsе. Sоmеthing tо dо with lоw fuеl priсеs аt supеrmаrkеts, pеrhаps. Еxpесt lоng gаps.

9. ellajanelle

ellajanelle Member

I've never been to the UK, but since I'm a huge Ed Sheeran fan, I'd love to!!!! Is it true that the people there are naturally nice? Anyway, I'm also a big fan of everything medieval. Do they have similar medieval-ish places as those in Spain, Italy, etc? :D I'm looking forward to visiting the UK soon!

10. DangerSuit

DangerSuit New Member

I think you're right, @pwarbi, there is too much of an onus on London as THE tourist destination in the UK. Liverpool and Manchester are great places to visit for an alternative culture scene - the music is completely different and the people tend to be a bit more approachable than in London.

Generally I think there is too much of a concentration on the cities - travelling the villages of Kent, or the south Coast provides as rich and sophisticated a travel experience as any city break, but it will likely allow you to see much more of the country and cost a lot less! People forget that over 90% of England and Wales is green land, not city hustle and bustle. There is so much nature to explore, so much glorious free space. Please, if you come to the UK, do not forget our green and pleasant land!

pwarbi likes this.
  11. Quazi

Quazi Member

London is quite different from the rest of the UK.
    OK, you have to like walking and forget a buzzing night life, but Wales and the West Country have beautiful countryside and some amazing history.
    it's also cheaper away from London and things tend to go at a calmer gentler pace, ideal for recharging and resting.
    No reason why you couldn't hop on a train and visit London but you'd get the wrong impression of the UK from just London :)

12. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I may be a bit biased answering this as I'm from the UK, but of course we're naturally nice!

Seriously though, in some parts of the UK, the people are friendlier than others, and those down south tend to be a bit less friendly I've found, but I'm sure you get that in most countries.

13. Quazi

Quazi Member

I've always heard of harsh northerners, I'm a Southerner (South Westerner) so of course bias that we're friendlier down here :p

14. DangerSuit

DangerSuit New Member

I agree, the North tends to be more friendly on the whole. Yet another reason to get out of London when you come to visit the UK!
    By the way, when we say "the South", it means mainly the South-East. The South West of the UK, towards Wales, and the spiky bit on the far left, thats all Devon and Cornwall, what we call "the West Country". Everyone there is super-nice. It's mainly London and the fringe towns where people are a bit more snippy, because they're usually in a hurry. Think New Yorkers or Parisians.

15. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

Well like I said, being a northener myself, I'm obviously going to say that us north of the Watford gap are more down to earth and friendly, but lets not get into that debate, haha!

I do think the British are looked on as a strange breed by most other countries though, especially those outside of Europe and its only when people actually come and vusit the UK, they actually start to understand us a bit more.

16. Quazi

Quazi Member

You're right we have a different sense of attitude and humour that people either get and love or can't stand :p

pwarbi likes this.
  17. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I have never been there and I would like to visit sometime as I would like to go everywhere but I was wondering what is so beautiful about London? It is a huge city and like most of the mega cities in the world you probably breath tar instead of air and I guess the Londoners are used to it but I am sure that I would have problems with that. I am sure that there are a lot of great sites to be seen and I know what are they but I was thinking what happens when you finish site seeing. I know that there are beautiful places around the Thames and if someone could share a story of such a place it would be great. That is what I love about cities.

18. JusApee

JusApee New Member

I'd love to be able to get there, given the fact that London is my favourite capital. I see it as a touristic spot and I'd really want to visit the Big Ben or the Big Eye of London. I would also love to get in the subway there and compare it to my own country. I'll be visiting it this summer finally and I can't wait for it!! What should I be looking for besides those places?

19. Quazi

Quazi Member

Look for the first train to the South West :p
    I'm joking :)

London eye is worth it if you're not in a rush, bring a camera for that as the view is incredible.
    Some other big things to go see:
    Natural history museum
    Houses of Parliment
    Westminister abbey
    Windsor castle

Once you've done the typical tourist hotspots, try to trek a little further afield away form London and appreciate the greener areas :)

Hope you enjoy your visit

20. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

Along with all the usual sites that tourists flock to, Buckingham palace and Tower of London to name just 2, you should also do the less than obvious things aswell.

Take a ride in a black cab, do a tour of London on a red open top bus, even go on a Jack the ripper tour of Whitechapel. I know a lot of people think that all major cities are the same, but with London it manages to mix the history and the present, the way no other city can.

21. Qoelet

Qoelet New Member

As someone who lives in England already I can't see the attraction of London. Whilst I can't deny there are some incredible attractions, I've always found it incredibly dirty and intolerably busy and crowded at every turn. I know this is par for the course for large/capital cities, but I've been to a good few and always find London to be the most crowded and most difficult to navigate.

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side!

22. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I've been to London a couple of times, and its a nice city. I think if you're from the same country though like we are, we don't appreciate it like say somebody from abroad will.

That's probably the case all over the world though, and do the Spanish think Barcelona is anything special? Italians and Milan?

23. Hello. I've been to UK once when I was a little kid and I've been London and North Yorkshire. I mostly liked the North Yorkshire due to the 'greeness'.
    For me, London was quite dull. I left with no good impressions, maybe because of the fog.

24. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

From what my husband said, London is the main attraction in the UK and going to other provinces would entail distant travel. When my husband was in London, he and his colleagues wanted to go to Brighton for the horse races or Bath for its atraction. But the cost was the argument between his colleagues and they finally settled for the Isle of Wight. He said that there are so many good places to visit in the UK but it would need money for the expenses.

London has so many attractions like the Kew Gardens and other parks not to mention the landmarks like the Buckingham Palace and other royal structures.

25. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I've never been to the UK, actually - but one of my friends lived there for several years as a result of her hubby's work - they were near Cambridge - and she adores the UK and basically wants to move there permanently. She just loved the whole feel of it there, plus she's very into history and photography so I think a lot of the older style villages were really up her alley in terms of style.

It's somewhere I would love to go to one day, and I definitely see it as a tourist destination, but if I was headed there I would ideally do a giant trip of Europe and right now I don't have the time or the cash to do that, sadly!

26. maxen57

maxen57 Member

The United Kingdom is a historical location that mainly boasts grand architecture in the cities, quaint villages with their age old traditions and natural scenic views. I think they tend to attract certain people who are more into the relaxing old world charm. My uncle who passed away a few weeks ago is a retired British nurse who hailed from Yorkshire. He moved here and married my aunt. I think he got tired of "too much raining". But if you ask me, I'd definitely like to spend a few days there.

27. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

Good point.
    Also I think a lot of time when traveling people head for the capital. So while someone says "ohh Sweden was amazing" in reality what they saw was Stockholm and maybe the surrounding areas. So that helps to build the image that "Stockholm was lovely" because that's where people visit... but other areas in Sweden might be even better.

pwarbi likes this.
  28. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

Never been to the UK myself, but I've met a few Scottish and Irish people to inform me about the best places to go.

Scotland might be your place if you love dance and the performing arts. Apparently there are HUGE modern dance, ballet and burlesque communities there. You can literally spend all day show-hopping.
    Not to mention the landscape is utterly incredible. The Highlands (there can only be one!), Arthur's Seat, Ben Nevis, and the infamous Loch Ness to name a few.

As for Ireland, I'd say both ends are worth going to. Northern Ireland has Bangor, Ballycastle, and Omagh. In the Southern region, there's a neat lighthouse called Hook Head. You can also kiss the Blarney stone.

29. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

Living in England, I've been to most parts of the UK, and its true that there's rich and diverse cultures in all parts. As both you and @crimsonghost747 says, its not just the major cities and the capitals you should visit, to get a true sense of a country.