1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfagarasan Highway

Discussion in 'Europe' started by GenevB, Apr 25, 2016.

1. GenevB

GenevB New Member

This highway is situated in Romanian, somewhere in the Carpathians mountains, and is reviewed as "world's best road trip" according to Top Gear. I have been there myself once, and I say that the views from it leaves you breathless, it's definitely one of those places you must go to at least once in your lives. stelvio-pass-2. 1. transfagarasan-2-days.

2. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

Holy mother, that looks like my kind of road! Get me a drifter car, quick. You have to stop posting all these cool things about Romania. You're giving me wanderlust lol, and I've only just settled in a different country.
    It certainly is breathtaking, especially the gorgeous mountains and clouds. I've watch some videos on Youtube where someone drove along the highway with the BGM set to trance music. I nearly fell asleep watching the world pass by.

One question: How busy is this road usually?

3. GenevB

GenevB New Member

I can't really say how busy it is as I've been there only once or twice myself, but on season I know it's busy enough, however it all depends on the time of year you go there, if you find yourself in the summer, you might find it busy during the day and it clearly isn't a road which I would recommend doing it at night. However, I suppose it to be pretty empty during other seasons like autumn or winter.

4. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

Meh. The first picture looks good, the others are ugly! To me the road, while of course necessary for transportation purposes, kinda ruins the whole scenery. You have such natural beauty there... high mountains, valley, clouds almost descending into the valley... and then you have to slap a big curvy road and big electrial pylons right in the middle.

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Wow! I think it's cool - although I'd probably get a little queasy from all the twists and turns. I love road trips but I do sometimes get car sick if the roads are really curvy and stuff...especially if it's curvy with no end in sight!

But - I'd give it a try, maybe with someone else driving!!

6. GenevB

GenevB New Member

I think exactly the opposite, the fact that the road is in that picture, makes it more complete, the beauty of nature touched by the beauty of human work. Also, when you are on top of the mountain looking down at this road, it give you an incredible feeling.