1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travel And Health Insurance

Discussion in 'North America' started by Ava, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Ava

Ava Member

This is one area I don't skimp on when I visit the US. Often there is a choice to buy certain levels of cover and I opt for mid to high range cover as you never know and that premium could save you lots of money and time.

I know many cards and bank accounts offer travel insurance with their packages, but it's worth double checking the medical limits just in case and any small print. I've never had to use it before, but it's something you don't want to get caught out on.

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Honestly, we don't bother with the insurance. When we book a ticket online, there's always the offer of travel insurance but we always uncheck it. I don't know why but insurance doesn't appeal much to us. Maybe in a decade from now, we would be a little conscious of the health insurance because of the probably health issues that we might be having. But for now, we are content with the usual traveling that is happy go lucky and with no insurance whatsoever. By the way, I have a life insurance already.

3. I have never thought of getting travel and health insurance. For one, I don't travel too far. I mean, Thailand is just across the border from Malaysia. Besides, I hardly travel by plane. I like to keep my feet on solid ground. So I travel by bus or train. I think the buses have their own insurance added to the ticket already. Not too sure about the trains.

4. Ava

Ava Member

I think anyone traveling to the US should definitely consider it. I've read stories where people have given birth and can't afford to medical bill, or people have been injured and their insurance didn't cover the particular treatment. There is a lot of small print, and as I often go to the US for three ot six months at a time, it's better safe than sorry.

In Asian countries, it's useful if you need to be repatriated, but I probably wouldn't trust most hospitals in Asia. I was ill in Nepal and I heard the hospitals were more dangerous in terms of hygiene and opted not to go there.

5. No idea about Nepal since I haven't ever been there. However, in Thailand, I can say that the hospitals are good. That's because I have been in one for a few days. The hospitals in Thailand have a good policy about helpers. All patients are encouraged to have their own personal helpers. When I was in the VIP room, I found that there was an extra couch which could double as a bed for my son who was looking after me.

One thing, though. The toilets are gender neutral. The hospital I was in doesn't have separate toilets for males and females. It's a free for all, sort of like a homey atmosphere. You wait your turn and it doesn't matter who the other person in there was. I was using a wheelchair at that time and a woman even helped me to get up to get into the toilet. It was all very pleasant and friendly.