1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travel For Food Trip

Discussion in 'Asia' started by maxen57, May 7, 2016.

1. maxen57

maxen57 Member

One of the most enjoyable experiences a traveler could ever come across with is tasting a local dish that's just undeniably one of the best you've ever eaten. I am yet to experience that since I've almost been nowhere but if there's a specialty that I would travel for just to be able to sample it, it's Kobe Beef in Kobe, Japan. Vegans would bat an eye lash but I'm just a beef girl. I love corned beef and when I saw Kobe beef on a YouTube documentary, the costumer's reactions are just so believable because you can really see the juice coming out of the beef and it's famous for having an evenly marbleized fat that melt as it cooks.

Are you looking forward to tasting a certain dish you've only heard about from a foreign land?

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

I wouldn't necessarily travel for food but I do love to try the local stuff when I'm traveling. It's a part of the whole experience for me and I often try to find some small restaurants hidden away... places where the locals go to eat.

3. Rachel

Rachel Member

Not really. Food isn't my main driver for visiting a country, unless it's a trip to Italy and then I am in food heaven! I tend to have the opposite problem in that I struggle to eat in a lot of the countries I visit. I recently came back from China and found it very difficult to eat there, because I am fussy and some of the dishes that are considered to be the norm in that country are not food I would choose to eat - I became vegetarian by default after a couple of days, for the duration of the trip!

4. For gastronomy lovers, tasting a national dish at its origin is definitely something worth traveling for. However, for ordinary people, it's not that much important for 3 reasons:
    1. People mostly visit countries for sightseeing.
    2. People will focus on buying souvenirs, something they can remember.
    3. People enjoy spending as much time as possible taking photographs.
    Food, of course, is also something important since one has to eat to survive but that doesn't mean it is the primary reason for someone to visit a country.

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I definitely consider myself a bit of a foodie - I love to cook and I think it's fun learning about a country through food! I've done cooking classes several times when I have traveled - I learned how to make okonomiyaki, gyoza and beautiful sushi rolls in Japan, bulgogi and kimchi in South Korea, and a delicious curry in Malaysia. So that's one of the fun ways I experience food when I travel!

One thing I would like to experience in my own country is deep dish pizza in Chicago - I've never been there yet for authentic deep dish!

6. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I couldn't agree more actually. I have done this everywhere I went. I haven't gone to too many places but in those several countries I always wandered around in search for some traditional and some street food. I love to feel the people although I am not a very talkative person I managed to overcome this with my passion for food. You have probably seen Anthony Bourdain's shows where he just roams around the cities in search for the same thing. A good meal from the street sellers.

7. krnd

krnd New Member

You would probably enjoy food tours!

I love eating delicious new food and so does my girlfriend so even though we haven't gone on any food tour, we have a lot of friends that have done it and haven't been disappointed. It is pretty convenient as they will take you to places with some traditional dishes and some different takes on plates that you already know depending on the country. In Korea these are pretty popular and not expensive at all, you will surely end up with a happy stomach and wallet.

8. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

<Enter the vegetarian> I'll admit, in order to sample the freshest sushi ever I momentarily called hiatus to my vegetarianism a few years back... No regrets. I see nothing wrong with you wanting to try Kobe beef, OP. Recently, with the demand of good sushi going up, the cost of beef has gone down considerably. You can find Kobe-grade beef for a reasonable price now in Japan.

As for traveling for the sake of food, I'd do it. A girl's gotta eat, yeah? And plus, if I was getting paid to taste the local dishes (minus anything with meat or insects), count me in. My two main exotic dish goals are Southern Indian street food (as well as those edible, biodegradable millet spoons India has) and a New Zealand kiwi picked right from the bough. Er, kiwis do grow on trees, right? I'd also love to go to Italy and try real gelato that my Italian grandmother continues to rave about more than half a century later after moving to the US.

9. Lynk

Lynk Member

I am a foodie definitely and I love to try foods from different places. There are very few things I won't eat or try! I consider dining and learning about the local foods an important and fun part of travel, absolutely. Nothing beats really immersing yourself in the tastes and smells of a different place and what better way to do that than at the dinner table? :D

10. Coco

Coco Active Member

I remember this scenario from How I Met Your Mother:

"Marshall, you know what kobe beef is?

The most expensive beef in the world.

The place I'm taking you has kobe lobster. That is lobster fed with kobe beef."

Lol. Anyway, side story aside, I think with every country we visit, we always try out the cuisine. It's important for us to taste the local dishes that they have. My husband's cousin just got home from a trip in Singapore. And my aunt related this story, where they weren't so into the local cuisine so they tried to find McDonald's or KFC in there. In my mind, I was thinking, "But that's the best part about travelling, that you get to taste their very own dishes."

So every time we go to a different country, I make it a point to research about the local restaurants in there. This way, we can at least save our time and effort from trying out the bad ones. Fortunately, through this tactic, we are able to only eat the best dishes each country has to offer. I also love researching the best dishes from each country so we'd know what to order specifically. It takes the guess work out of the equation as well.

For me, nothing beats authentic cuisine. Even though I've eaten sushi and ramen her in my country, I still ordered these in Japan. And dishes like samosa and palak paneer were my favourites in India, I've never tried them before going to that country.

11. Miya

Miya Active Member

I travel for food all the time. Whenever I go traveling, I always make sure to look up what's famous in that area and I always try it. Even if it's something I don't usually like, I eat it because I know I might not have the opportunity to again. For example, I went to Okinawa recently and tried their goya champuru. It's bittermelon stir fry and it's a famous dish that's pretty much only made in Okinawa (or at Okinawa restaurants). I don't like bittermelon, but I ordered one to try anyway. It was better than I expected. I think that traveling for food gives us an opportunity to eat foods we don't normally eat or like. There has to be a reason it's famous, right?

As for me, I didn't get a chance to try Kobe beef the last time I went to Kobe, but I will definitely do it next time. I'm also looking forward to trying Sapporo Ramen when I go to Sapporo in February next year :)

12. crimsonghost747

That is one way to do it, and I do that sometimes too. But I still prefer to just go to a local restaurant and order something. Maybe ask the waiter for his/her recommendation for a local dish... or just see what the others at the restaurant are having! Eating can be a wonderful adventure too, especially if there are no english menus. :D

13. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I'm not a food freak but I definitely would like to taste good food of other countries. In fact, my favorite in Hongkong is Lamb Biryani, a middle eastern dish that is primaritly made of long grain rice and chunks of lamb.

Incidentally, we have a trip to Japan in March 2017 and some colleagues have already mentioned Kobe beef. A Japanese friend said that Kobe is very tender because the cows have been given beer, yes, beer to drink which makes the meat of the cow soft. But someone said that the best beef in Japan is Wagyu and also the most expensive. I still have to make a research on that.

14. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1 New Member

I look forward to eating sushi in japan. I hear the food taste really good. I tasted sushi in the US once but that was a long time ago. I can not remember what sushi taste like. Maybe one day i will remember.

15. crimsonghost747

Beer = win. So I think this beef must in fact be the most delicious beef on the planet! :D

16. krnd

krnd New Member

Speaking of beer, South Korean beer is really lackluster so if any of you come here you may be better off buying some beers at the duty free. Some other things you may not be pleased with are the sometimes too sweet bread buttery toast we have here.

17. sararas

sararas Member

I haven't been to mainland China. The closest to China I ever visited was HongKong. While it is part of China geophysically, HK being a British colony for so long doesn't have that vibe of a regular Chinese city. But I do remember coming from a visit from Macau, that my friend and I ended up in a real-deal Chinatown area in HK. I can no longer remember the name of the place, but everywhere we look, all we could find are traditional Chinese restaurants. But we were so hungry, and had no choice but to enter into one. My memory of the food wasn't too good. There's something about Chinese spices / condiments that just doesn't sit well with my nose and taste buds.

18. sararas

sararas Member

Traveling for the sole purpose of food tripping hasn't happened to me. My primary purpose for traveling is to really experience the vibe of the place and to see and experience for myself the beautiful places that either I first read about or saw on TV/Internet.
    When abroad, my savior when it comes to food are the American chains. My taste buds takes a while to adapt to food. Thus, more often than not you'll find me in an American chain to satisfy my hunger. I will try to eat local food, still. But the preference would always go to the more Western food (Filipino cuisine, if I ever find one). Haha, I do remember in my last visit to HK in 2014 we went to this particular place because the owners were Filipinos and they serve what most Filipinos love for breakfast TAPSILOG (tapa-sinangag-itlog). That's a meal combination of a specially marinated beef (tapa), fried rice, and egg.
    That said, I can't say that when I travel abroad there's some food that I look forward to eating. Oh except perhaps a dish called chicken marsala. This dish is something I often come across in books. But it's a dish I'm not familiar with in the Philippines, so when I saw it laid out in one of the buffet offering at a restaurant we visited in Bangkok, I just had to sample it.

19. crimsonghost747

And I would assume that imported beers are ridiculously expensive?

20. krnd

krnd New Member

I guess it really depends on how much you're willing to spend on a beer, for example in order to get a large size Heineken (650ml) was a little under 8,000 KRW which is around $7 or less and I did not find that to be expensive!

However the local beer does go around 2,300 KRW per normal bottle so it is far cheaper.