1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travel to Nepal after the great earthquake of 2015

Discussion in 'Asia' started by vinaya, Sep 30, 2015.

1. vinaya

vinaya Member

In April and May, Nepal went through successive earthquakes.The most deadliest earthquake recorded were 7.9 M on April 25, 6.9 on April 26 and 7.4 on May 12. The earthquakes damaged the major landmarks in Nepal. Most of the UNESCO world Heritage sites in Nepal have been damaged. Would you visit Nepal to see what remains of the 5th through 18th centuries monuments?

2. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

While there's no doubt that a natural disaster, especially on that sort of a scale would make a tourist think twice about visiting that region, I think that Nepal offers sights that can't be witnessed anywhere else in the world so I wouldn't let it put me off to much if my heart was set on it.

3. Rubie

Rubie Member

I have heard about that news regarding the earthquake on your place. A sincere and deepest sympathy is what I can give to you and your countrymen. It's hard to visit a place that had just experienced natural disaster and obviously tourism is much affected. Nobody would like to see the destruction in your country, and if there is, its more on concern, not for tourism.

4. nemanjanp

nemanjanp New Member

A disaster like that most certainly isn't very good for tourism. Would I still visit Nepal? Uh, probably? It really depends on who I would be travelling with. Also, it depends how much money I am able to spend, it really depends how much luxury I could afford. But those earthquakes would make me think twice for sure. Maybe when Nepal recovers first.

5. vinaya

vinaya Member

I agree that people would not like to see the fallen palaces and temples, however, the country still offers some thing for everyone. You can go on a trekking to Annapurna,which is world famous trekking destination, or Everest, the world's tallest mountain.

You can go for white water rafting, or jungle safari. The rivers running down the mountains offer world's best white water rafting. Nepal is also famous for one-horned rhino and royal Bengal tiger.

6. Rubie

Rubie Member

Nepal can still cope up with the tourism, its just a matter of time to heal the destruction made by earthquake. Nevertheless those who falls down, struggles hard, and fruit of hardwork is as much as what is expected.

Anyway your country bear to preserve some tourists attractions. As what you have enumerated, those tourist destinations are quite adorable places. The Everest is a landmark and commonly known throughout the world. There's no doubt your country will rise again.

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

The thing is Nepal will recover quicker the more tourists it can attract because of the amount of money it can generate to help get it back on its feet, so it's a bit of a catch 22 situation. It needs to repair the damage caused so tourist will come, but tourists won't come until the damage as been repaired.

8. vinaya

vinaya Member

Tourism is the second biggest revenue generating sector in Nepal, the first one is agriculture; actually, Nepal is an agrarian economy and is a developing nation. Development is so uneven here that few hours drive will take you hundreds of years behind. Nepal is a small country and since few years Nepal is receiving a million tourists every year. I hope the country continues to receive tourist flow despite the devastating earthquake.

9. Future_Martian

Future_Martian New Member

I will Only visit Nepal on the day where they fully recovered from the disaster. I don't want to visit a place that is still struggling because I remember about the news on how many victims of hurricane Katrina became hostile due to desperation.

One of my bucket lists is to climb Mount Everest but I won't do it alone, I wanted to do it with experienced people who successfully climbed very high and dangerous summits. We will only live once and it is one thing I want to accomplish before the day I die.

10. planetX

planetX Member

My only pray to God is to bless the country by giving all strengths to recover fast and protect the land from any such disasters in future.

As @nemanjanp has already pointed out such incidents will discourage people from visiting Nepal,but it all depends on how fast it is recovering from the disaster. Hope it is recovering fast. But a boom in tourism industry can help the economy recover its past glory within no time.

11. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

Tourism seems to be big business these days for any country so anything that happens that affects that is going to be a blow to that countries economy.

With a disaster like this though I think the main concern is to get the country back on its feet and the infrastructure back in place so the people who live there can get their lives back together again. Tourism will slowly return as and when the country starts to recover.

12. Lucinda Dominguez

Lucinda Dominguez New Member

It is sad to know that those ancient monuments are gone. Yes, I would like to travel to Nepal even after the great earthquake. Though, my reasons for going there would not be just for sightseeing, but to help in anyway possible. If it was possible to volunteer, I would. To travel to Nepal would still be wonderful and it would greatly aid the people in their recovery.

13. vinaya

vinaya Member

@Future_Martian there the country is yet to rebuild everything is going ok, for example, the country announced the new constitution recently. You are always guided by experience Sherpas when you are climbing Everest.
    @planetX you are right, toursim can boost economy and when economy is sound, the country can rebuild fast.
    @Lucinda Dominguez it is really sad that ancient landmarks have been destroyed.

14. Future_Martian

Future_Martian New Member

@vinaya I will still wait for the time that Nepal is more stable so I will feel more secure. I mean I won't visit Greek at their current state because I don't want to see depressed people trying to recover. I want to visit Nepal in a time where people are smiling and full of hope. I am sure in few years they will recover from the earthquake. If I will climb the Everest I want to be with a group of people .I will still feel scored and alone with a single person.

15. vinaya

vinaya Member

@Future_Martian I respect your view. Nepalese are smiling and hospitable people. A few years ago, a team of Europeans and Americans coma to Nepal to access the armed conflict in the country. In their report they said despite the poverty, civil war, political instability, Nepalese are smiling, which was not seen in African countries that are suffering from civil war.

16. Coco

Coco Active Member

It's been a few months now after that horrible tragedy that happened in Nepal. From what I've read, the tourism is picking up again in Nepal. Tourists aren't advised against travelling to Nepal. Out of the 75 districts in Nepal, 14 were affected by the earthquake so it means majority of the country is still okay for travelling. Some tourist spots were destroyed but the majority of the wildlife and sanctuaries were left untouched by the earthquake.

I know that one place that was terribly damaged is Langtang Valley. Although the government is doing their best still to fix this damage. Tibet Road via Kaburi was also damaged and was not passable for a time. Rehabilitation in these sites have been done and is still ongoing though.

Regardless, if I have the opportunity, I know that Nepal is one of the best destinations for adventure lovers and thrill seekers. With all the mountains to trek, the places to discover and the people to see, I don't see why tourists would stop flocking to this place. Despite the horrible incident, it's best to say that Nepal is staying on its feet and would rise again after a few more years.

17. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

It's obviously going to take any country a few years to get over a disaster such as this, and especially a country like Nepal that doesn't have the richest economy in the world.

It's good to hear that things are slowly turning around, but is there a danger that this could happen again, or are disasters on the scale of that one, few and far between in that region?

18. Myrr

Myrr Member

Natural disasters happen can happen anywhere, and it is sad when they cause too much devastation. But human beings are always able rise up whenever situations such as disasters happen. And I am glad that Nepal now is recovering, albeit slowly.

19. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

I don't think it had a HUGE effect on their tourism as a lot of people go to Nepal for it's natural beauty, not the structures built by humans. Of course it always takes time to rebuild.. both tourist attractions as well as the necessary infrastructure to keep most visitors happy but in this case the beauty of Nepal is still there just like it was before the quake.