1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Traveling By Greyhound?

Discussion in 'North America' started by Ava, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Ava

Ava Member

I had an idea to travel from Boston to visit a friend in Florida by bus, but the whole route looked near impossible and impractical. Besides taking several days there were long layovers, and I hear in some depots the station isn't open so people have to wait outside on the street with no information on the next bus.

Is it practical? I wanted to go as it means I could see more things, but as the route is not direct by any means is it worth it? I may choose to find a cheap flight instead to save time at least, because the journey was nearly four days, and I'm not sure that will be that much fun as I would have to change buses six times.

2. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I've used the Greyhound bus services before to save money on getting from A to B, but it was always when I could have an idea of schedules and which buses I would be getting on. Personally I don't know that I would do it if there were super long layovers - unless you are cool with sleeping in bus terminals! As someone who often travels as a solo female I don't know that I would be comfortable doing that myself, and if I had to get a hotel somewhere it would probably negate anything I'd saved in getting the bus in the first place.

Are there any budget airlines that do that route?

3. Ava

Ava Member

Yes, I was thinking I could stay over somewhere en route and make it more of a road trip, but then it works out more expensive than flying if they aren't really places I want to visit. I don't relish the idea of sleeping in a bus station unless I have no choice, and as Greyhound can get delayed the schedules can't always be relied on.

I'm planning it for next year so I can still figure out if it's worth it and see if I pass any cities of interest.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

From what I heard, the Greyhound is a good way of traveling especially if you care for sightseeing. However the trip takes time and long travels punish the body particularly the bottom which aches after 8 hours of sitting on the couch. And if you are a tourist then you have to invest more time in the Greyhound and maybe the plane can be more practical.

5. It's a bad idea, you should only take the bus if you really have to or for short travel. Is the money you are supposedly saving worth four days of your time? I'm fine taking a bus if it's the only way to get somewhere and I want to enjoy the journey there. But if you're not site seeing, the journey is bound to annoy you more than anything. I would save up and take a plane unless you were absolutely sure of all the points and that there wouldn't be any long layovers.

6. Ava

Ava Member

The more I look into the journey, it looks more hassle than it's worth, especially as Florida is huge and doesn't have a great public transport system either. I do like traveling by bus, but only when it is reliable and from the tales I hear, some do get long delays. I've traveled before, but only journeys up to five hours and that was bearable and fun at times. It's the anxiety of transfers that is more of a concern and if you miss them trying to get another one that I don't think would be worth the hassle.

7. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I often have to remind myself that sometimes the cheapest option isn't always the best. Sometimes things requiring long stopovers and transfers and all that sort of thing actually end up more messy and inconvenient, so saving yourself some money isn't always that appealing.