1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Traveling Through The Amazon

Discussion in 'South America' started by Catchmeifyoucan, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Catchmeifyoucan

Catchmeifyoucan New Member

It's been a dream of mine, since watching National Geographic specials as a child, to walk the jungles of an Amazon. Does anyone have an inkling of how much a trip like this would cost? The cost would include all premedical precautions, lodging, the amount to pay guides, etc. Some day I'd like to do this, and observe it's beauty and wonders first hand. The only type of forests I've been through are the pine forests in Yosemite National Park, and other deciduous forests. After watching that show River Monsters I wouldn't mind going on a guided fishing tour of the Amazon River either.

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I also have seen the documentary of the Amazon trip by National Geographic. That's hard core adventure. I cannot imagine myself taking that dangerous trip. What if the insects in the jungles have venom? And maybe I wouldn't dare go to the nearest water for there might be the anaconda or the flesh-eating piranha, huh. My idea of travel is not really a tourist in the city but something like a safe adventure. I'd say one like the Great Wall of China which is not so dangerous or maybe the Lantau Island in Hongkong where there is the cable car.

3. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

I too would love to visit the Amazon. When I was younger, I did so much research on it and created a lot of Amazon-themed artwork and stories/poems. Since I didn't recall the cost, I did Googling for the curious.
    There's places like Amazon Tours and an informational article on Frommers.com that's an interesting read. What I gathered from these sources is that:

1) a trip through the Amazon is very inexpensive (a week for about 2,000-4,000.oo USD depending on the excursions that you sign up for)
    2) you can take a number of different ships or boats along the river,
    3) the present state of the rainforest is nothing like National Geographic makes it out to be -- all the construction and deforestation has dampened the natural beauty of it, as well as all the tourism,
    4) lodgings are extremely (and always) close by, so there's really no disconnect from city life

4. Catchmeifyoucan

Catchmeifyoucan New Member

That's pretty interesting. I would think though that if you get the right guides there are areas that you can go that are relatively untouched. From what I seen on shows like "River Monsters" there are still these areas of forest deep up the river. I've also seen something in the news where there was a tribe untouched by civilization living in a dense part of the jungle. They were able to see them by flying a plane over head. The tribe responding to the plane came out in their war paint and spears. It's pretty crazy to imagine this day and age a group of people that haven't been encountered by other civilizations yet.