1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trekking In The Himalayas

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Ava, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Ava

Ava Member

If you've always wanted to do this and thought it was too difficult or expensive there are many ways you can do it on a budget. Even if you aren't that fit, you can do short treks for a couple of days in Pokhara which is less steep than the Khumbu region.

The most expensive part is usually the flight, then after that most things from hotels, guides, and eating are very cheap. Many of the tailor made trips seem expensive, but if you look around you can find local guides for a fraction of the price, and your own hotels and hostels as many are online now and you can book yourself.

I do advise going if you love mountains as it is breathtaking, and the people are some of the friendliest on the earth.

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

My husband is interested in the Himalayas. In fact, he had already surveyed the costing for a stay in Nepal which is affordable for us. However, it is not really climbing Mt. Everest for us but maybe just a good glimpse of the Himalayas will suffice. We also want to see a yak and maybe a sherpa, that is the guide in climbing the Himalayas. We have seen the movie Everest which demonstrated the hardship of climbers so it is clear that climbing the summit is not for us because we are not climbers nor adventurers. We are simple and ordinary tourists.

3. Thanks for posting this, I would love to travel the Himalayas one day and knowing that there are some treks for not professional rock climbers is awesome. More than the expense, the idea of the intense mountain climbing scares me off though I want to see it. I'll probably never climb Mount Everest but it would be cool to see it in person, even from the bottom. I would love to go see some snow leopards in the wild but I'm not in shape to go that high up. I guess that should be put on my bucket list to work on.

4. Ava

Ava Member

I have actually seen a snow leopard in the wild when I was coming back down from Everest and it was one of the most incredible moments of my life. I had gone ahead of my guides and sherpas and there was only me and another member of the party about to cross a bridge when it darted in front of me.

The air is amazingly fresh, but with the recent earthquakes it has been hard on some areas, especially villages that are still struggling. Once you've seen the mountains there it is hard to compare them to any others you see later in life.