1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uber For Land Transport Abroad

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Corzhens, May 18, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Have you tried Uber when you go abroad? They say that Uber has the same system anywhere so that means it is like a taxicab on call. I have tried Uber here in our country and I find it good especially that the fare is to be paid using credit card only. What's good is the convenience since all you have to do is call the Uber hotline and state where you are located.

But in another country, I still have to try Uber. In Singapore, we always take the ordinary taxi so sometimes we have to line up in the queue of the taxi stand. The same in Hongkong where the line to the taxi stand is very long.

Coco likes this.
  2. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

Uber is indeed pretty much available wherever there is land transport. You can check to see if it's available wherever your headed by checking their website.

I can imagine that it would be a pretty interesting ride if using Uber abroad. My only fear would be getting picked up by someone who didn't understand what I was saying or I ended up getting dropped off at the wrong place. Of course, I've never used Uber here in Japan because of the super convenient public transport system. More often than not, Tokyo roadways are not that fun for car drivers. Taxi cabs scare me.

Coco likes this.
  3. Coco

Coco Active Member

Just like you, I've only tried Uber here in my country. Personally, I prefer it than regular cabs here simply because the drivers are more professional and the vehicles are almost always clean. I love that it's very convenient and you don't need to compete with others to get a ride. During rush hours, it can get pretty hectic and difficult to even get a cab. The downside is that it can be pretty expensive and not all minimum wage earners can afford it here. But during important events or maybe once in a while, I'd prefer using Uber than regular cabs.

Then there's also Grab Taxi here, which is basically cabs registered on the app. You can get a cab through the app so it's less of a hassle to get a ride. You would have to pay a different fee for getting the cab through the app though. The upside is that it is less expensive than that of Uber. But the downside is, you're still getting the same cabs... You're just getting them from the app.

Whenever we travel though, we usually get tour packages and these have their own shuttles for tourists. So we don't really need to ride cabs and if we do, it's very rare. However, I've stumbled upon three strategies that Uber had been making to cater more for tourists:
    • The first one is that they partnered with Duolingo to match English-speaking riders with English-speaking drivers. This was first introduced in Colombia, then into Brazil.
    • Another one is that they have partnered with a Chinese company to make it easier for residents to pay in their local RMB currency.
    • Just recently, Uber announced Uber Passport which allows residents from California to use their service to travel to Mexico.
    I think these are great innovative strategies that can surely help Uber get into the tourism world.

4. GraceB

GraceB New Member

But that's why you put the drop off location on the map before even being picked up, no?

But yeah, I've used Uber few times, and there is no difference to it location-wise. The only thing to keep in mind here is that Uber is probably more expensive than a regular cab (at least in SEA), if you have a real idea of what you should pay and maybe can even haggle a little. But it's way more convenient, so there are times when choosing to pay a little more just pays off by making your life easier.

5. Miya

Miya Active Member

I've never used Uber because I've never had the need to. I'm not entirely sure how it works or if it's safe, but I'd definitely double check everything before calling an Uber driver. I know that in some places (Hong Kong, particularly) that it is illegal to hire Uber drivers. Some people still do it if they don't get caught, but if they do, there are consequences. So if you plan to call an Uber driver in a location you're not familiar with, I'd make sure it's okay with the laws first.

6. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

I've never used uber, simply because it hasn't been available in most of the places where I've stayed more permanently. Would I use it when traveling... maybe. Depends on the country. Also taxis are pretty cheap in most places so it's easy and convenient to use them, and in places where things are expensive (ie. developed nations) there is usually a pretty well functioning public transportation system.