1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uluru

Discussion in 'Australia' started by amelia88, Apr 11, 2016.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

This was one thing I missed out on seeing when I travelled in Australia, but I'm hoping to visit again in my lifetime and would love to see Uluru!

Has anyone visited there? Is there anywhere good nearby to stay? And did you actually climb the rock itself or just visit? I don't know if you can even climb the rock anymore as I think it was outlawed - I think it was due to the cultural significance of Uluru to the Australian Aboriginal people. At least I heard talk of it being outlawed, anyway.

I'd love to hear your experiences with this part of Australia! :)

Admin likes this.
  2. integrity101

integrity101 New Member

I'd also love to know more about Uluru and the myths associated with the rock. Is it true that if you carry home a piece of the rock you'll attract all manner of bad luck in your life? What makes the rock change colors at different times of the day? This is one of the places I'd love to visit in my lifetime.

3. Coco

Coco Active Member

Hi! Here's a few accommodations that I can recommend to you near Uluru:
    • Sails in the Desert.
    • Desert Gardens.
    • Outback Pioneer.
    • Kings Canyon Resort.
    • Kings Canyon Wilderness Lodge.
    With regards to climbing Uluru, it's not prohibited but the local Anangu wishes that visitors respect their culture by refraining from climbing the land. The climb itself is associated with certain ceremonies for the locals. Aside from that, the climb can be difficult and requires a lot of effort. The locals wouldn't want the visitors to be injured because of the harsh aspects of the climb. The climb isn't allowed during the months of December to January. People with the following conditions are asked not to climb Uluru:
    • Heart problems
    • Hypertension
    • Breathing problems
    • Physically unfit for the climb
    There are other ways of exploring the land, through guided tours, cultural tour or even a painting workshop. So if you can, try these other activities instead of climbing the Uluru.

With regards to the bad luck myth, I have read several people's accounts claiming that bringing home the rock from Uluru resulted to bad luck in their lives. This ranges from bad marriages to even career failures. And so, they returned the rocks with some apology written on it. Not all people believe in this myth though.

The rock changes its colours depending on the weather and time of the day. Why it does that? I don't know personally but maybe it has to do with the reflection of the light. I hope someone sheds a light on this issue.

I hope this helps!

Last edited: May 5, 2016