1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unruly Kids On The Plane

Discussion in 'South America' started by Corzhens, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Have you experienced taking a plane with some unruly kids? And making it worse is that the parents (or adults with them) don't do anything, huh. The 2 toddlers were like in a playground, running on the aisles and shouting. Isn't that annoying? And when some other passengers said something about those noisy kids, the parents gave them a sharp stare. We have been in several such flights that we couldn't control ourselves from complaining to the flight attendant.

2. My mom worked at an airport and I know you can't have kids running up and down the aisles for multiple reasons. You should have let the attendant know, if you're worried about them glaring at you just say you're worried that the kids will trip and hit their head on the arm rests since they're metal. But those kids shouldn't have been out of their seat and it's a hazard for everyone on board. If the plane flies into turbulence and those kids get injured, those parents won't hesitate to sue the company. So it's in their best interest to tell the parents to keep the kids in their seats. I've had a couple of those but mostly, it's the stupid kid that keeps kicking the back of your chair and you ask the parent to deal with them and they just shrug. At that point, it's that the kids that are problematic, it's the parents that think they can use the airplane as a daycare.

3. It's so unfortunate that some people are so inconsiderate. I have not personally experienced this on a flight. What I have seen are kids who make the supermarket aisles their personal playground. That's just as bad, I suppose.

4. Ava

Ava Member

Whenever I pick a seat on a plane, I always ask not to be seated near children. I know that may sound mean, but I find it stressful and I would rather avoid it. Once I sat near a toddler and baby, and the baby threw up on me, and the toddler kept throwing the toys at me. It was hard for the mother, but that isn't my issue when I have paid for a seat on a plane.

I quietly asked if I could be moved and I was upgraded as baby vomit is not nice, plus as I was stuck there, I had to think about the rest of the journey and my sanity. If parents have no control, ask the crew to say something as that is usually more effective.

5. Miya

Miya Active Member

This seems to be every traveler's nightmare, lol. For me, I don't mind it if kids are crying, but if they're throwing up on me than I'll probably ask to be moved. I can understand why kids cry. Their ears pop and that really scares them and makes them uncomfortable (especially for babies). So crying is inevitable. I try to be understanding as long as the parent is trying to do something to calm the child down.

6. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

Actually, kids under 7 are allowed to fly with their parents sitting on their lap. Sometimes they are super loud and it sucks. However, most of the time, parents feel the pressure in the air and try their best to reconcile their children and make them act less noisy.

7. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

I wish other parents took notes, too.

8. Valentino

Valentino Member

Some kids don't even have to run around. They could be seated where they are supposed to be but they could be doing something that's just as bad. There's this one kid I remember whose parents were seated right behind me and she just wouldn't stop screaming for like 30 minutes. She fell asleep and there was more screaming afterwards. Quite unpleasant. And there was nothing anyone could do. Not even the parents. Makes me wish at times there could be adult-only flights.

9. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

For the most part I kind of understand kids being restless - it's hard for them being cooped up in a plane for hours on end. I do get a little frustrated though when the parents don't do anything, that's really the only time I get annoyed with it. When you can see the parents are doing all they can to keep their kids calm and entertained then I really don't think you can blame kids for being bored/restless or whatever. I think being nice definitely helps! I try and entertain kids if I can, to give the parents a break. Chatting with them, or showing them games or pictures on an electronic device can help break up the monotony for them, and I've received many thankful smiles from parents for understanding and trying to help!

10. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Also - I had a cold once when I flew, and it was SO painful on my ears - to the point I was just about in tears as an adult. You have to remember a lot of kids don't realize that swallowing helps to release the pressure in their ears, so you have kids just in pain on ascent and landing because they don't know how to relieve that pressure build up. So I try not to judge kids!

11. Good to know that you are so understanding about kids on planes, @amelia88 . I suppose you might have kids of your own to be able to do that. Myself, I am not too comfortable with unruly kids on planes or even on trains. However, I always tell myself to stay calm because I was once a kid, too. Being a kid is not a choice. It's just a stage all of us have to go through.

12. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

No kids just yet but lots of friends my age have babies and toddlers! :) So I am used to entertaining them and trying to give my friends a bit of a break!

Most of the time I tell myself the kiddos are just bored. If I can help occupy them for a while I see a lot of relief on the parents faces!

13. Miya

Miya Active Member

I don't think it's kids under 7. I think kids over the age of 2 have to purchase their own seat and can't fly on their parents laps.