1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Visa To Japan

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Corzhens, May 19, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

As I had posted in some other threads, we have a trip to Osaka, Japan early next year. I have started listing down our needs and one in the list is the visa. Since we are in the suburbs and quite far from the Japanese embassy in Metro Manila, I am thinking of letting a travel agency secure a visa for us. When we went to Beijing, China last year, that's what I did and I just paid the fee. After filling out the visa application form, the agency worked on it and came back to me with the visa.

Now, is there a non-appearance visa application to Japan?

2. Miya

Miya Active Member

Are you going to stay in Japan for more than 3 months? If you're not, then you won't need a visa at all.

3. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

I did a little digging around and found this site: http://www.ph.emb-japan.go.jp/visiting/new%20visa/tourism.htm
    You might be able to contact someone from that office using the email that's located at the bottom of the page. Better to get answers straight from the source, eh?
    There's also the information site map HERE. And here's tips for a higher success rate: HERE.
    I'm not entirely sure about the visa procedure for those in the Philippines. It seems very different from the American process, which is simpler. My apologies for stating in a different thread that you didn't need a visa! Wish I could help more :|

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

@Miya, I am a Filipino citizen and you are probably referring to American citizen who don't need a visa. My colleagues who have been to Japan said they secured a visa from the embassy.

@Valerie, thanks very much for the link. I agree with you in getting the information from official sources. That's why I resorted to the travel agency for the Chinese visa because it would be difficult to be going back and forth to the embassy for other requirements. At least the travel agent already knows the ins and outs of the embassy. By the way, we are advised to secure a visa 3 months before the flight, so that would be by December.

5. Miya

Miya Active Member

Sorry about that @Corzhens. For some reason when I type in "visa to get into Japan" it just shows me that if you aren't staying for more than 90 days, you don't need a visa. It didn't specify any countries so I thought it applied to everyone. I have looked into it and it does look like it's U.S. citizens only who don't need a visa.

Good luck getting yours. Hopefully all things go smoothly for you.

Corzhens likes this.
  6. Coco

Coco Active Member

I think securing a travel agency to manage your visa application for Japan is a good idea. You only need to contact them and give them your documents and they will take care of the rest. You won't need to personally appear especially if you're from distant locations. These travel agencies can accept your documents through a courier service like LBC. And if you will be travelling in a group, you can just appoint one person to pass the requirements. It's not required that all of you personally appear.

The usual processing time would be five days or more. You can pick up your passport in the embassy or just have it mailed to you. Make sure you provide the correct address though, we had to pick up the passport of my husband one time because his lawyer didn't provide the address for the embassy.

I hope this helps!

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

That's actually my concern, @Coco - personally appearing to the embassy. The traffic in Metro Manila is horrendous everyday and with that errand of securing a visa from the Japan embassy would take more than half a day when you include the travel time. So I would absent myself from work just for that. And I would really appreciate if there is a courier service by the Japanese embassy so they can just mail my passport back to me. I hope it is possible for the travel agency to secure a visa for me otherwise I have to undergo much sacrifice.

Thanks for your posts in this thread.

8. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Just to add based on the news report some weeks ago. The Philippine ambassador to Japan had issued a statement that Filipinos will not be required to get a visa to Japan as per the agreement of the 2 countries. Ambassador Lopez said that starting June of this year, the visa requirement will be waived by Japan. It is a gladdening news for me. However, it is already the second half of June but still no confirmation of that news. I'm still waiting if it will come true because it would be a great convenience for us to be saved from the trouble of getting a visa.

9. Miya

Miya Active Member

That sounds like great news! Hopefully that will encourage more tourism in Japan :) Have you already applied for yours though?