1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Visit Mombasa

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Francis, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Francis

Francis New Member

Mombasa is one of the best tourist destinations in the world. You can make great savings when visiting this city at the Kenyan coast. You can expect a lot of activities since it is the second largest city in Kenya. Tourists like spending time at the beach. Lately it has been ranked as one of the best cruise destinations. If you enjoy diving then this is the best place for you. You can also enjoy dolphin spotting trips on dhows. While in Mombasa, you can visit ''The Old Town'' to reminisce of the days when Portuguese ruled the port. Other activities that you can enjoy include deep sea fishing and snorkelling.

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

I would most certainly not rank it as "one of the best destinations". It's pretty much what most seaside cities offer: beach resorts, aquatic activities etc. The added possibility of safaris is nice though and in general the weather is great. But it still feels just like another beach destination to me.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I'm really surprised to see this thread. All I know about Kenya are forests, the serengeti plains, the safari and, of course, the animals that are being hunted by poachers. But that's probably Nairobi I am talking about. Anyway, this is the first time I have read about a beach in Kenya and the way you described it is like a beach in popular tropical countries. However, if ever I would have the chance to visit Kenya, I would probably take on the safari to see the wild animals particularly the gnu and giraffe. But still, knowing about the beaches in Mombasa is interesting.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  4. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

Corzhens, yes it's exactly like that. Hotels on the beach with swimming pools and outside restaurants, the ocean right there at your doorstep etc. Basically exactly what most beach resort destinations are like.

Corzhens likes this.
  5. Francis

Francis New Member

depending on what you expect you'll have to enjoy the facilities there. I never talked about the most expensive beach resort in Mombasa, because I have never been there. Better my experience than all...

6. Valentino

Valentino Member

Last I heard about Kenya and poaching, they were destroying tonnes of ivory that had been seized. If poaching isn't that profitable anymore I suppose it is on the decline.
    I've heard Mombasa described as a "multicultural paradise." They could be stretching the truth a bit but though it might not be a paradise, the stories I've heard made me belive that it actually is sort of pretty — some of the beaches that is, not the city itself.

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I have seen a news clip in CNN some months back that poachers in Kenya are still at it. The government's department (of forestry, I think) is seeking external help particularly with the finances because they need to employ more forest rangers who are armed because the poachers are ready to kill the forest rangers they see. In other words, it is like a war in the jungle where the poachers are brought there by choppers. And it's not only the elephants but the rhinoceros are also victims for their horns which are purportedly curative.

8. Valentino

Valentino Member

I think the best way they would go about fighting poaching is by doing some lobbying abroad. If other governments where tusks and rhino horns are sold make it illegal to possess such items . . . people wouldn't buy them if there's a possibility they will be locked away. Should be there be fewer buyers of said items, poachers would probably not be all that interested in hunting and killing animals for their tusks, horns or pelts.

Corzhens likes this.