1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Visit The Philippines And Tick Off As Many As 7,100++ Islands

Discussion in 'Asia' started by sararas, May 15, 2016.

1. sararas

sararas Member

The Philippines is a country in the Southeast Asia. It is an archipelago composed of roughly 7,100++ islands. The country is divided into 3 big island groups namely Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao. In another thread, there was a mention of island groups in Luzon area called the Hundred Islands in Pangasinan. Some of these 7,100++ islands may not be habitable, but definitely some of them are worth visiting.
    With that many islands, it's a definite guarantee that there is SOMETHING you will find enjoyable in the country, be they be in the mountains, in the plains, or underneath our waters.
    If you only have that ONE chance to visit the Philippines, you guys should really not miss the marvelous waters of El Nido and Coron in Palawan.
    All right, let's name drop and tell everyone the other islands you've been fortunate to visit in the country, or is dreaming to visit one day. Click on the picture for more islands worth checking out in the Philippines!

dicantuman beach.

amelia88 likes this.
  2. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

My nephew is just hired by Philippine Airlines and he will be attending a training before being relocated to Puerto Princesa, Palawan. Naturally, when he settles there, we have no other choice but to make a visit as a guise to enjoy the place. I still haven't gone to Puerto Princesa, the capital of Palawan province but I'm sure there so many places there to enjoy not to mention the fresh seafood and high quality fruits. And from what I know, it boasts of their beaches with clear sea water.

I had been to Coron once but not yet to El Nido. But I think El Nido is far from Puerto Princesa. Correct me if I'm wrong.

3. sararas

sararas Member

Wow, that's great news not having a choice but to visit, hehe! It really IS good excuse. Puerto Princesa is a dear. There are places you can explore within the city itself, such as the Mitra House, the Butterfly Garden, the Crocodile Farm, and their famed bakery, its name currently escapes me! (Baker's Hill? I think). A definite restaurant to visit is Ka Lui's. An hour and half ride (?) from the city will take you to Sabang - the jump off point to the world-famous Palawan Underground River.
    As to El Nido, I think it was roughly a 6-hour van ride to get there. If you're a water person, you'll definitely wouldn't mind enduring the long travel. Just allot a few days to enjoy most of El Nido.

Corzhens likes this.
  4. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Thanks very much for the information. At least I now have an idea of what to see in Puerto Princesa. But with that long drive to El Nido, I would probably drop it from our itinerary since I don't do scuba anyway. I am more interested in the crocodile farm that some say I could sample crocodile meat. Maybe me and my husband would have croco burger, huh. I still cannot say when the trip will be because my nephew had started his training just today and I still have to hear some development of his assignment in Puerto Princesa. But at this early, I already feel excited.

5. Coco

Coco Active Member

This is a very nice thread! Since you have already mentioned Puerto Princesa, El Nido and Coron... I am going to mention Sumilon Island in Cebu:

2012-03-05-at-04-06-31-M.
    The Sumilon Island can be found off of the coast of Oslob, Cebu. This is actually privately owned by a resort called The Bluewater Summon Island Resort. Keep in mind though that this place can be pretty expensive. What I particularly loved is the so called "glamping," which means glamorous camping. There are supposed tents for this:

sumilon_island-1_3587FE19871542D9B905710F9C0AD7FC.
    They aren't your usual tents, as you can see. They're complete with beds, fridge and table lamp. The beaches here are wonderful, white sand, very fine and clear blue water. You get to enjoy that as is or you can enjoy kayaking through a mangrove lagoon. Or maybe you can go snorkelling or diving. There's lots to do here and the whole family can enjoy this place.

You can also enjoy whale shark watching in Oslob:

oslob2.
    That's about it... I'm looking forward to other islands that aren't known to many.

6. sararas

sararas Member

Thanks. It wasn't my original idea, though. Credit to @amelia88, thanks!

Your post makes me remember a local saying "Huwag maging dayuhan sa sariling bansa!" (rough translation: Don't be a foreigner to your own country!) Being Cebuano, I always have this notion that I can always go to Sumilon Island, any time I want since I won't have to buy a plane ticket, and it's just a few hours away by bus. But up until now I haven't gotten around to visiting the place. Similarly, I haven't been to equally beautiful Camotes and Malapascua Islands of my beloved Cebu. Haha, I can't understand my own psychology when I truly don't mind traveling to far off places of my beloved Philippines!

Anyway, the farthest I've been to just to enjoy good old crystal clear water is one called Blue Lagoon in Pagudpud, Ilocos Norte (Northern part of Luzon Island).

Another favorite is Raymen Beach in Sitio Alubihod. This can be found in the remote island of Guimaras (Visayan Island off Iloilo City)

7. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

This is a beautiful post @sararas! I'm so glad you shared information about the Philippines with us! :)

One of my friends just recently went to the Philippines for a snorkelling trip! She loved it and was saying how beautiful it is there. I don't know exactly which island she went to (I should ask!) but it seems like if you're into snorkelling or scuba diving it's a pretty popular place to visit. The water looks so clear and pristine!