1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Visiting London On A Budget

Discussion in 'Europe' started by CaptainOblivious, Apr 27, 2016.

1. CaptainOblivious

CaptainOblivious New Member

I have recently received an offer to interview at a London based company. The offer is quite generous, but the company requires me to be in London for the interview process at my own cost. So, I need to stay in London for around a week. Suggestions for saving money?

2. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

First and foremost, don't stay in London! I'm being serious aswell, so bare with me...

Most people who work in London will commute in from just outside. Even after adding in the cost of transport then it still works out cheaper than staying in an hotel or renting a room in the middle of the city.

Check your itinerary, and see if it's feasible to do that, and in fact a lot of companies are flexible as they know what issues are caused by working and staying in London, so they should work with you.

3. Quazi

Quazi Member

Stay in Reading and commute to London on the train.
    Spending most of your time outside of London will save you money.
    For lunch, prepare your own sandwiches that don't require cooking.
    B&Bs tend to be cheaper than a hotel but you may not have access to your room all day so no where to leave your stuff.

4. Lynk

Lynk Member

There's so much to do for free in London too, definitely go on some long walks and check out the sites while you are there. I found lodging and restaurants to be very expensive, but there are great reasonably prices meals in the food shops and from street vendors. The train is a great way to get around and it's a lot of fun if you haven't experience it before.

Good luck on your interview!

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

When my husband was assigned work in London, they got an apartment in Twickenham, I think that's south of London. They travel for 45 minutes in the train to reach their office in Piccadilly Circus so you can imagine the distance. He said that accommodation in the city is very expensive but the advantage is that you are already there and you can just walk around (that's for a tourist's point of view). But if money is your consideration, you might as well get accommodation in a farther place from the city.

6. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

Damn, interview that takes a whole week? That's horrible for people coming from far away.
    This isn't really a tip for saving money, rather it's what I would do assuming that if succesful you will be working in London. But I'd seriously spend some time in getting to know the different areas, basically looking for where I'd want to live. Transportation to work place, price of rent, if the neighbourhoods are nice or not etc. Assuming you don't have a super busy schedule during the week it wouldn't be out of the question to spend a few nights in different neighbourhoods to get a more in depth view of them.

7. Phileas80

Phileas80 Member

You might have to stay in a hostel, look around for good prices. London is expensive and unfortunately accomodation and public transport are extremely expensive. You won't save much by staying outside London and taking the train everyday as train fares cost a lot too. Look to stay somewhere in zone 4/5 and get the tube to the interview location everyday. You'll need to spend a couple of hundred pounds at least but probably around £250 to £350.

Make your own lunches and not spending any money during the day is the main way you'll save.

8. I would recommend you to stay in Reading. It's just 30 minutes away from London but it's much cheaper than London itself for the accommodation. You will save anywhere from £200 to £1000 for the accommodation not including the food, water, shopping and stuff.