1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Volcanic Tourist Destination

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Rubie, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Rubie

Rubie Member

Although volcanoes are quite dangerous, but the look of it can attract and instantly get an attention. The triangular shape which is naturally formed is incomparable. In the Philippines, Volcanoes are also considered as a tourist spot but not just for recreation but for educational purposes.

Popularly known volcanoes are Mayon Volcano, Mount Pinatubo, Taal Volcano, and Mount Apo. Those are active Volcanoes, anyone wanted to have a peak is allowed with law abiding rules including the distance from the volacano.

2. planetX

planetX Member

I read that there are 37 volcanoes in Philippines, of which 50% of them are still active. Others are called dead or sleeping volcanoes which are free of any danger of an eruption. Mount Mayon is said the most active volcano there, 47 eruptions till now.

I am really scared of volcanoes after seeing a Hollywood movie called "The Volcano". It was really scary watching those red lava approaching like sea water.

3. Rubie

Rubie Member

It's really scary and dangerous but for adventurous person its a perfect spot. Believe it or not, disregarding the fact that its risky going to places near Volcanoes, Mayon Volcano is one of ths top tourist destinations here in the Philippines as Department of Tourism declared. Inspite of hazardous tourist sport, tourism management allowed visitors at the place, following the cautious regulations for tourist safety. For safety measures, no civilian is allowed within 8km from the Volcano.

Talking about Mayon Volcano, @planetX is correct in stating the fact that it is an active volcano. It is a majestic wonder of the world stands 2,462 meters, about 8,189 feet and with a base circumference of 62.8km or 40 miles. The prestigious wonder of perfectly cone-shaped Volcano, surprisingly captivates some tourist's interest not even considering possible risk.

MAYON VOLCANO

Cagsawa-ruins-with-Mayon-Volcano-at-the-background.

4. planetX

planetX Member

Thanks for giving a perfect picture of Mayon Volcano. But if the visitors are only allowed within eight kilometers radius, is it possible to have a good view of the volcano? However, they are really brave people to be there. Is there any prediction like when it is going to erupt next or is it impossible to predict anything?

It is really a great experience to visit those active volcanoes. By being active means, I believe there is still smoke coming out of those volcanoes, right? Is it safe to go with kids there, what do you think?

5. Rubie

Rubie Member

Before a volcanic erruption, some signs are observed. A volcano seems to be awaken first and slowly shows its possible erruption perfectly sets the time of evacuation if possible. Our government, takes action automatically as volcano shows warning for possible volcanic activity and will not allow any civilians to stay on a risky place.

As to the perfect picture, it is possible for a good viewing even though an 8km distance is implemented. An active volcano normally shows smoke but it does not mean that everytime the smoke comes out, there's an erruption. I don't see any problem bringing children on the site as long as the volcano is calm.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

Volcanoes seem to becoming more and more popular when it comes to tourism and a lot of people want to visit one. Personally I've never seen the fascination with them myself, and the thoughts of me running down the side of a mountain with molten lava flowing after me isn't tempting me!

7. Waqsi

Waqsi New Member

Volcanoes are one of the most destructive natural calamity on earth and their eruption can cause major destruction and loss of lives. Thank you for making such a valuable post but as you said that 50% of the volcanoes are still active out there, what are the restrictions and measures taken by the government out there to prevent any major hazard? You also said that often students visit the volcanoes for educational purpose, how much safe is this and how much restricted is the area for them? Do you think its safe for tourism?

8. Rubie

Rubie Member

Its true that Volcanoes are dangerous and it can even kill lives if unawareness of its activity is concern. Our tourist Volcanoes here are only allowed to be visited on the month dry season. Rainy days is the dangerous time for Volcanoes so prohibition of visiting the site in implemented. Person with asthma are not adviced to visit this tourist spot. Each tourist is required to have a mask to avoid inhalation of unwanted gasses.

Actually those Volcanoes are not really considered as tourist spot, but because there are some people who like to view (maybe out of curiousity) the scenery of Volcanic sorrounding, then the places with Volcano then became a tourist spot.

Maybe there are just some people who loves extreme tourism and adventorus enough to visit such place. I am not recommending this Volcanic tourist spot to anyone, I just want to share what we have here in the Philippines.

9. vinaya

vinaya Member

I don't think there are any volcanic mountains, dead or alive, in my home country Nepal. Therefore, I have never been anywhere near to volcanic areas. I have seen volcano only on TV, the most devastating volcano I have ever seen was in the movie Dante's Peak. However, I am kind of fascinated with volcano erruption. I would love to visit these places if I ever make to the Philippines some day.

Rubie likes this.
  10. Rubie

Rubie Member

Tourists are always invited to come to the Philippines. You might be an extreme traveller @vinaya and you're interested in seeing a Volcano. Safety must be always taken into consideration upon visiting the place and be sure to follow rules implemented by the locality of specific Volcanic tourist site. They are setting some rules for tourist safety of course. Always remember that Volcanoes are dangerous.

11. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I think having volcanoes as tourist destinations the safety of the tourist will always be a priority and while your right that volcanoes are obviously dangerous, the companies running these tours will be regulated and follow strict health and safety rules.

12. planetX

planetX Member

As you already cleared in your earlier posts that there is enough time for evacuation proceedings, I think there is nothing to worry as far as a threat to life is concerned. But there will be huge destruction of property for sure.

So, it will not be like an earthquake which hits almost instantly without any possible warning. I think the Government would compensate for the loses inured to property and wealth during a volcano eruption.

Rubie likes this.
  13. Rubie

Rubie Member

Destruction of properties is usual, anyways its just a property. Saving lives is the most important. Volcanic erruption is somewhat dangerous but as what I've mentioned in my earlier posts, there's a season where volcanoes are prone for erruption and that, tourism is temporarily prohibited.

14. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

The live volcanoes or the ones that are volatile would certainly be off limits I would have thought and especially to tourists, but there are volcanoes in the world that have been dormant for a number of years now so these would be ideal to visit, if your into things like that.

15. vinaya

vinaya Member

when I say I will love to visit volcanic areas, I don't mean I want to visit the place when volcano is erupting. I understand the danger associated with volcanic eruption. However, I will love to visit a dead volcano, or even the one which has erupted recently. I want to see the ash and molten lava.

Rubie likes this.
  16. Rubie

Rubie Member

Is that so? Really brave huh? ;) I doubt you could make it because if there's a volcanic activity going on, no one is allowed to tour with the place. All civilians are advised to stay away from the volcano.

17. planetX

planetX Member

Is there any relation between an earthquake and a volcanic eruption? I mean can an earthquake accelerate a volcanic eruption? In movies I have seen mild earthquakes happening just before these volcanoes erupt and flow of the lava is really slow, right. At least I can run to safety then.

I think once it is happened it will take some time for the land to regain its natural structure as it is hot molten lava. It is not surprising that these places are hot tourist destinations as everybody will be just curious to see these volcanoes.

18. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

While I'm not an expert I'd imagine that an earthquake can significantly increase the likelihood of a volcano errupting, but having said that, there are volcanoes that can erupt as and when they want so the two don't go hand in hand I don't think.

19. Lucinda Dominguez

Lucinda Dominguez New Member

Volcanos are alluring and can be majestic like what was shown which is the "Mayon Volcano". To travel see a volcano erupting would be unwise though there are people that do want to go and take pictures from afar - as when it explodes, the dust can be thrown very far. Another popular Volcanic Tourist Destination in the Philippines is the Taal Volcano, known as the smallest volcano in the world. It is the crater of the volcano that is seen with a lake that surrounds it. The best place to view this volcano is from Tagaytay.

20. Rubie

Rubie Member

Before Volcanic Erruption takes place it is confirmed to have shaking of the ground or an earthquake. The reason why there's shaking or vibration going on is because of the movement of solid rocks beneath the volcano as Magma pushes its way upward. Eartquake is considered to be a sign of a volcanic erruption. But as what @pwarbi said there's no possible occurence of the two distructive activity at the same time.

21. vinaya

vinaya Member

As far as I know it is natural to experience mild earthquakes, some times even strong ones, before or after volcano eruption. earthquakes and volcano both are the occurrence of activities inside the earth

22. Coco

Coco Active Member

The only volcano tourist destinations that I've been to in my home country are Taal Volcano and Mount Pinatubo. I would like to share my experience with Mount Pinatubo. We trekked the volcano to reach its crater. You would need a four wheel drive car just so you can do this. The place you would be going to is full of sand and gravel. Just by doing this, it's already a fun and thrilling adventure. The sceneries you would see are beyond amazing and wait until you get to the top of the volcano, you can dip in the water of the crater. Here's a few pictures I found online since my own pictures are in the other PC:

volcano.JPG

volcano in philipines.JPG

Mount-Pinatubo.

The picture are amazing, aren't they? I hope that when you can get to the Philippines, you would consider traveling to Mount Pinatubo. I hope this helps! If anyone has any question, you can ask me about it here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2016
  23. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

With me being from the UK, we don't have anything like that in our country so I think that's what makes people from over here even more fascinated with countries like yours that does have volcanoes that you can visit.

I'm guessing its an experience to go and visit at least once in your life, although I wouldn't fancy it if it was in the verge of erupting of course!

24. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

I've unfortunately never been anywhere volcanic, though I would love to see lava in real life. The closet I've ever gotten to a volcano is Mount Fuji in Japan, but it's dormant. Thank goodness.
    Still, it's on the bucket list. There are many volcanoes to see. I especially want to visit Mayon. It looks absolutely majestic.

25. Myrr

Myrr Member

The only volcano I've seen in person is Mt. Mayon in Bicol. It's truly majestic and from afar it really looks like a perfect cone. Too bad when we went to Bicol, climbing it is not allowed because the previous month, some climbers got into an accident. I just contented myself from admiring it from afar. I will definitely come back and try to climb it, if the local government will allow it.

26. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

Although dangerous they are quite beautiful and a lot of them actually are in Asia. Iran has around ten I believe, China even more. However, Indonesia, Philippines and Japan had some troubles with volcanoes and I believe they have many active ones. I wouldn't go too far to check how active or dangerous they really are but I would really like to see at least one volcano since we do not have these in Serbia, at least not visible ones.

27. ellajanelle

ellajanelle Member

As mentioned in earlier posts, the Philippines is also home to the world's smallest volcano which is the Taal Volcano in Tagaytay, Luzon. It's a magestic view especially when viewed aboard the Philippines' tallest ferris wheel! It's an unforgettable, knee-shaking experience! :D Taal Volcano is also the second most active volcano in the PH. Yikes!

Mt. Pinatubo's crater looks so serene.. postcard-worthy indeed.

28. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

It's quite ironic because we have been traveling to other countries every year but I still have to sample touring Mt. Pinatubo. All I know of the place is what I read in magazines that the crater is a big lake and that boating is a nice adventure there. Early this year, we had a plan to go to Taal Volcano, a trek right up to the crater. Unfortunately, on the night before the planned trip, it was raining and when we inquired with a friend in the nearby area, we were advised not to proceed because it is not good to climb the volcano when it is wet. Maybe before the summer ends, we can experience the Taal Volcano trek.

By the way, we have plane tickets for Davao in October and our aim is to climb Mt. Apo, that is the highest peak in the country. But not really that far up high, maybe just in the foot of the mountain.