1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ways You Overspend When You Travel?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by amelia88, Sep 22, 2016.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I saw this article on an Australian news site and it got me thinking...

http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...g/news-story/4d63c7f689222eeb51628ff6a0434070

Have you learned from any travel you've done, where you've spent more than you should? Do you have any lessons for the rest of us that might save us some money?

I have done last minute cash exchanges at the airport before (like they mention in the article!) and they definitely charge a premium for it - it would have been way cheaper for me to do it at my bank before heading overseas.

Also, withdrawing cash from international ATMs can be so expensive, they often charge an international withdrawal fee - so I try only to withdraw cash if it's absolutely necessary.

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

In our latest travels, I always use the ATM for the currency instead of the money changer. We usually bring US dollars but it is more expensive that way. What I use is the credit card to withdraw money from the ATM machine in the local currency, it is cheaper in terms of fees. But in overspending, it is my usual mistake because I couldn't resist buying items that I fancy which are not available at home. When we were in Bangkok the first time in 2012, I bought a jade figurine of a dog that has a tag price of $500. My husband was wincing but I proceeded because it was my chance to buy a genuine jade. That's one of the reasons we travel not too often because of the issue of pocket money, I always overspend, huh.

3. I haven't traveled very far from my country so I don't really know what it's like to overspend when I travel. When I was younger, I used to travel to Singapore quite often. I would already have in mind what I want to buy and I bring just a little bit more than enough money. So there's no way for me to overspend. As for Thailand, I have been working there for many years, so again, there's no question of overspending when traveling in Thailand. Anyway, Thailand is a very cheap country to travel in. I can go from the southernmost end, by train, to Bangkok, about 1200 kilometers away, for as little as just $50.

4. Valentino

Valentino Member

Souvenirs. That's what I spend too much money on. It could be cheaper to simply send a postcard to friends but we used to buying each other "exotic" gifts so when I'm traveling I have to spend a lot of money on souvenirs.

My advice to anyone who is addicted to buying Souvenirs is this: just buy something cheap. After all, your souvenirs are going to be mementos of your visit to . . .

5. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

Unfortunately, some areas are much more expensive than my place, so it happens sometimes.

6. Francis

Francis New Member

If you buy goods like gadgets outside your list then you'll probably find yourself overspending. You need to compare different transportation services before you travel. Most people have admitted to have overspent their money on alcohol. We should avoid carrying extra money if we think we should not need it.

7. I tend to buy souvenirs especially jewelry and scarves, plus presents for family. Other than that, I save money by calling Skype instead of on the phone. I probably tend to spend to much money on food because it seems like everything is delicious somewhere else. I just think traveling to another country is expensive when you want to go see places with a limited time frame. I find the shorter the stay the more I pay. While longer stays allow me to get to places on a bike or walking, which allows you to discover a country slowly instead of hunting down beautiful sites like they're suddenly going to become extinct.

8. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I used to overspend on souvenirs particularly in our earlier trips. But when we have been traveling for years, I ran out of souvenirs to buy especially in places that we frequent like Hongkong and Singapore. Our overspending is now more of the hotel accommodations. Where before we were frugal by staying in cheap hotels buying lots of souvenir items, it is now the opposite - we seldom buy souvenir items and we stay in good hotels with buffet breakfast. That's what we have for our trip to Singapore by the end of this month (October 2016).

9. That makes sense. I guess I don't look at a nice hotel as overspending though since I always reserve ahead of time and have it all covered before I even step on a plane. I just think that a good hotel with a nice bathroom, comfy bed, and mini fridge is just neccessary to escape when you've been running around all day. But I think that makes sense that you would switch from buying souvenirs to spending more on a better hotel. The souvenirs I buy for myself though are those that I'm going to use or wear when I get back home. I don't collect spoons or t-shirts just because I'm somewhere.

Corzhens likes this.
  10. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I used to do that - collecting petty items for souvenirs. Would you believe that even I can afford to buy expensive items for souvenirs, I still bring home the soap and lotion provided by the hotel? It's just sad that airlines now use plastic fork and spoons for their silverware is a good catch for souvenir hunters like me. And with the shirts, it is my husband who has the propensity to buy souvenir shirts that are cheap for giving away to his friends. In fact, we still have some Hongkong shirts here that we bought last June.