1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Brexit Could Mean To Britain

Discussion in 'Europe' started by maxen57, Jun 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maxen57

maxen57 Member

My Instagram's been flooded with a lot of Brexit memes so I had to look it up.

It turns out that Britain has now been voted to leave or exit (hence, Brexit) the European union. Apparently, this is what voters wanted. The negotiation could take years and it looks like some are already dreading economic decline. I even read about the possibility of immigrants not being allowed in the country anymore. Then again, Norway's doing alright even though it's not part of the European Union but that would depend on the terms that will be discussed. So, do any of you think this will affect businesses and tourism?

2. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

Well, it will affect visas, that's for sure. The EU has something called a Schengen Visa, which allows anyone who holds such a visit to travel between EU-related countries on just one visa. However, Britain withdrawing from the EU might put limitations on who can come and go.

As for the economy, I'm not so sure about how well Britain will do on its own. This might make relationships with outside countries terribly taut. But as you say, Norway's doing all right, so this might not be as big a deal as the world is making it out to be. Only time will tell.

3. Phileas80

Phileas80 Member

I'd honestly be surprised if Britain does leave the EU, most people who voted had no real idea what effect Brexit would have on the UK economy. Most politicians will do what they can to make sure Britain stays in the EU. Also, London which is the commercial hub of the country actually voted to stay in the EU. Britain has the best of both worlds as it is, with EU membership and an independent currency.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.