1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What kind of place is Sharm El Sheikh like?

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Logan, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Logan

Logan New Member

My girl friend and I are thinking of visiting Sharm El Shiekh, but were very curious of what the place is like. Is it a happening kind of place with a lot of tourists or is it empty with hardly any tourist or to the extreme like a ghost town?

There have been a lot of problems in Egypt, so was wondering whether people are visiting the country at the moment or not.

2. Farfromhome_

Farfromhome_ New Member

It's a very beautiful place, the beaches are nice, and if your a scuba diver the underwater scenery is stunning.

If you do go I would recommend going in the winter (October through March), otherwise it will be extremely hot (easily over 100 Fahrenheit). I would like to say that I haven't been since the "Arab Spring" so I don't know what it's like now. Also if it's your first time going to any Arab country learn the dress code, it will save you a lot of hassle.

Also make sure you bring a lot of pound coins (Egp) with you will be expected to tip just about everyone. It's not as bad as it sound as 1 EGP is about 10 cents in USD.

Stay safe, and I really do hope you visit there it's a stunning place.

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

I would assume it's not worth it anymore. From what I've heard the place is an absolute ghost town nowadays, add in the nromal issues in Egypt and the more recent security issues and I'd recommend that you try Eilat (Israel) or Aqaba (Jordan). Similar locations but in much nicer countries.

4. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

Presently, there are quite a few news articles of Sharm El Shiekh. Apparently, flights had been stopped for quite a while and have just resumed again (February 2016). Crimsonghost747 is correct--it's kind of a ghost town at the moment. However, the Embassy is working really hard to bring people back.

You'd probably get a decent deal on every attraction if you go. The area needs the business.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

Unfortunately I'm going to have to agree with you guys and say that Sharm El Sheikh isn't the place it used to be, and what was once a thriving tourist area is now a shell of its former self.

The entire region is becoming a no go zone for tourists, and especially those from the west. I'd strongly recommend you look on your own countries government website regarding traveling anywhere in that area, and then see if it's worth it or not.

6. integrity101

integrity101 New Member

I'd never heard of Sharm El Shiekh before. Looks like an interesting place for the adventurous tourist. This is why I love this forum. You'll always learn of new places you'd never hear of anywhere else.

7. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

It used to be one of the biggest, if not the biggest, holiday resort area in Egypt. Quite popular back in the day.