1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Would It Take...

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Quazi, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Quazi

Quazi Member

What would it take for you to leave where you've grown up, leave your friends behind, your house to move somewhere else for a job?
    • A huge wage increase?
    • Bonuses from work?
    • Moving to an amazing location?
    • Dream career offered?
    I am kind of envious of those brave people that just up and leave all they know to pursue a job.
    Just wondering how much would it take you to up and leave your current setup

2. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

OH, OH PICK ME! I've done this!

I grew up in a small South Jersey town, the kind of place that many people get stuck in and never leave. Their families were born there, they were born there, and no one gets too far from the town.
    Of course, a handful of my friends moved to distant locations. A rough estimation would be 50 students out of a graduating class of 700 students left South Jersey. Out of that 50, maybe 20 (myself included) are out living on their own, in other states or countries.

Granted, picking up and leaving isn't easy. My family cried. I cried. Even up to the point of boarding the plane to go off to Japan, I was crying on the inside. Though I'd been to Japan before, when you realize the distance, that you'll hardly see those who are important you for months on end, it's a blow. But at the same time, I adamantly pursued my goals. For me, there was no reason to second guess the yearning I had to move to Japan. I had opportunities to do what I wanted for a living--dancing professionally, teaching, writing--that weren't available in NJ. The cost of living is actually lower where I'm living in Japan than it was in the States. The lifestyle agrees more with my personality. Plus, I get to follow my heart, speak a language I love (Japanese), and dance. Wages aren't really any different, but depending on the job, you get company vacations and a lot of freebies.

3. Quazi

Quazi Member

It's so good to hear such a successful venture.
    Was there a point where things weren't going so smoothly and you regretted it?
    How did it turn around to the positive it is now?
    How long do you see yourself out there?

Thank you for your detailed and interesting reply :)

4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I think for me, moving would have to be financially rewarding, so I could sock away a fair bit of money - especially if it involved moving to a less than ideal location.

But in saying that, I could happily sacrifice financial reward for job stability, an interesting and lively location, and my job of choice. Also if I had the option it would be somewhere near a major international airport, so that it would still be easy enough for loved ones to come and visit me.

I do think it would be awesome to get to experience life in a different country from a work perspective, but I don't know that I would be able to do that forever, you know? Well, depending on where I was based, I'm sure!

5. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

You're welcome :)

As for your other questions, there have been times where I just wanted to curl up in a ball and cry relentlessly. Trying to get an actual job in Japan when you're a foreigner is quite difficult.
    Unless you want to be an ESL teacher, entry into Japanese companies is nothing but challenges. Do you know enough Japanese? Do you know the business culture? Will you fit in--both physically and mentally?
    I've been barred from jobs simply because I don't have black hair or because I didn't know enough job-specific vocabulary. Plus, there are limitations based on your visa.

Yet despite these moments, I've gotten a lot of support from Japanese teachers and friends. I've met a lot of wonderful people who want to see me get as far as possible.
    My family has also seen my endeavors and backed me 150%. As with anywhere in the world, you've got to do your best and pursue your passions indefatigably.

My goal is to live in Japan forevermore~! I'm presently in college in Tokyo to obtain dance instructor certifications. Once I got those, I can change my visa, set up my own business, and really dig into making a name for myself.

6. Quazi

Quazi Member

@amelia88 I think my feelings are like yours, I'd save as much as I could and always think about returning. But then you never know if once you're settled in the new place, it ends up feeling more like your home and you never want to leave there. I'm sure there's a fitting saying that I may not remember correctly: "The end of anything is sad"

@Valerie Imagine a company in the UK/US turning someone down based on their hair colour, unheard of!
    Ah so you're still working towards your final goal, best of luck with it :)
    So was Japan always the primary choice for you to establish yourself or did you consider or try other countries too?

It sounds so tough to get started in Japan, just wodering why you maybe made it harder for yourself (there must be a big draw to Japan for you to put up with the knockbacks).

7. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

I've done this and I plan on doing it again in the future. I still haven't settled down properly (ie. bought my own house, girlfriend/wife, dog, car etc) so I really don't mind going all over the place. In fact I enjoy it. At some point I know I'll have to settle down a bit more permanently and while I wouldn't mind doing it now, I'm not in any hurry.

8. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

Yeah, the hair color thing really took me by surprise haha. A lot of younger kids go for pink, blonde or lighter colors; but in the end, companies (especially ones with cubicals) demand uniformity overall. In order to get a decent job, people will die their hair black, even if their natural color is dark brown.

Japan was indeed my primary choice. Very hard to describe why, but I've always been drawn to the country. I did consider going to New Zealand or South Korea, but I don't speak Korean well. As for NZ, I couldn't get enough networking done quick enough, nor have I ever been. Since I visited Japan prior to deciding on the move, I knew what to expect.

Oh, I wouldn't call it making life harder. It's more like...because I want to be here so much, I'm willing to struggle a bit more than I would in some place or situation that I didn't want to be in. I'd rather feel challenged and grow from the experiences than live in boredom.

Quazi likes this.
  9. Quazi

Quazi Member

Wow you are driven!
    When I'm asked "what do you want in life", I always say "a quiet life".

Your outlook makes so much sense, I just don't think I could be so brave as to go for something that could be harder than something else.
    I'm more driven by logic than heart, but then people like you are bound to lead the kind of lives people like me read about, get scared about and quietly envy :p

Really, best of luck with your continued adventure out there, it sounds like you deserve it :)

Valerie likes this.
  10. Quazi

Quazi Member

Career wise, I settled down really early (at 19, I'm 32 now).
    Growing up we were dirt poor so it was always drummed into us that earning a living is important.
    I'm not married, no kids, no dog.
    I have a partner of nearly 8 years (who is a dreamer, heart driven, no concept of money :p ).
    I don't think I would even take another job even if it paid more as I would always be worried "Would it last".

If you're brave, carry on adventuring, I'm jealous of you free spirits :)
    Even if I upped and left everything, the worry would still peg me down :)

11. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

32000 people leave Serbia every year to work or study abroad. That is permanent in 50 percent of these 32000. I have been working in Malta around two years but I had to go back because my work permit was over and they simply didn't give me anther one. We are not a populous country and with only 6 million people 32000 a year is alarming. Reasons are simple. We do not live here we survive. Imagine that everyday of your life you wake up with a thought whether you will have enough money to eat properly or even to eat at all. These are the thoughts of people who have jobs in Serbia. There a lot of those who do not have jobs and that is a very stressful situation.

12. Personally it would take a higher income for me to move to United Kingdom to leave.
    The fact that British Pound/Euro ratio is very high, I have to earn 20%-25% more to make sure I can live in UK with the same money.
    It's really a bummer for me but on the other side you can find jobs in UK quite easily.
    There are also higher than average paying jobs if you live alone; delivery men are getting paid quite a lot - a couple of thousand British pounds per month.

13. Lynk

Lynk Member

I wouldn't need any of these amazing incentives honestly! I moved once because my spouse wanted to go to school halfway across the country. Another time I moved just because I didn't like the weather in the city I lived. I really wanted to get out and experience different cities after I finished college so it worked out well. Of course there is a period of adjustment and a bit of loneliness usually at first after any big move, but you can learn so much by living in different places.

14. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I was born and raised in an apartment so maybe you can imagine the closeness that I have developed with our neighbors, and, of course, with my family as well. When I got married, I had to leave everything behind to start a new life. And it did not pose any problem because I enjoyed the company of my husband. It is more often that we visit my husband's family than we visit my family not for a reason but maybe I enjoy more my husband's family.

But regarding migration, I don't think there is a price. In 2007, my husband had an approved petition for immigration to the US. But when we seriously talked about it, we both decided to not puruse that opportunity. We enjoy our life here in our country particularly in our suburban home.

15. maxen57

maxen57 Member

Fifth choice: To have a life.
    I've never gone anywhere that I could say that's totally unforgettable. I would like to one day just pack up and leave so I can go anywhere from here. By doing so, I can finally get started on finding my place in the world because there's nothing worse than to grow old not knowing what could've been. While I know that I'm not capable right now, I'm hoping that one day I can finally spread my wings and finally land on a cage of my own choosing.

16. Rachel

Rachel Member

It would really depend at the time. It's much easier to up sticks and move as a single person, than as one of a couple. My dream location would be somewhere where I can see the sea, or at least get to it. I feel so much more healthy and alive when I am in the vicinity of the ocean - I'm sure I must have had seafaring ancestors!