1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When Abroad, Check The Size Of Food Serving

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Corzhens, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Do you just order food in restaurants when you are abroad? We are always wary of the size of the serving of food especially in restaurants native to the place. We have noticed that in Hongkong, their serving is big that is enough for me and my husband so we usually order 1 dish that we share because we couldn't finish 1 order each. Especially with the fried noodles, it would just go to waste if we would be ordering more. We have learned that trick when we were in Singapore where the serving in the food court are in large size. At least we don't waste money on excess food leftover.

2. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I've found that being American, we have waaaaaayyyy too much when it comes to portion sizes here. Honestly I have eaten meals at restaurants and taken home enough for three extra meals because the portion size was just ridiculously large.

One place that I thought had very reasonable portion sizes was Japan. I did sometimes find that I would still be feeling a bit hungry with the serving sizes there, but once you get used to it, it's fine!

3. Miya

Miya Active Member

When I first got to Japan, I was surprised because their servings were so small. It was still enough to fill me up, but for the same price, I got a much bigger portion back in America. This was indeed a culture shock for me. I'm used to it now, but my American friends sometimes have to order 2 dishes instead of 1 to fill themselves up.

I find it interesting though. A "small size" can be so different depending on which country you're in. My Japanese students are always surprised when I show them the large size soda from American McDonalds. Their minds are blown because that size doesn't exist in Japan (and there are no free refills).

4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Yes, it's crazy - I have seen this picture on the internet before and the size difference is pretty astounding!

6004485346_7fbda27f98_z.

5. Portions? Hmmm, I don't think I have ever checked the portions of the food before I ordered. Maybe that's because when I eat in restaurants, which I rarely do, we order many dishes together, so it doesn't really matter what the portion is like because there's plenty of food. I suppose this only has some significance when ordering a single item of food.

6. I've heard that our American sizes are really huge for individuals. But I know that there are restaurants in South Korea that serve a plate of food that could feed at least four people comfortably, and that's not including the free bowl of rice. I wonder if America really has bigger potions though or if it's just in the fast food chains. In a traditional restaurant, I wonder if it's reversed considering that restaurants revolve around sharing instead of individual plates?

7. Miya

Miya Active Member

There are definitely exceptions, but generally speaking American sizes are larger. If you were to order a meal at a restaurant in Asia and the same meal at a restaurant in America, your portion would be bigger in America.

8. I think places which mainly serve people from the Middle-East also have big portions. I remember eating a couple of times at a restaurant run by Iranians. Even though the restaurant is in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, the portions they serve are big. A plate of briyani rice is always enough for two. And a serving of lamb is enough for four.

9. Ava

Ava Member

I always ask how large a portion size is or look around at other tables. I don't like to have huge portions because I don't like waste. I know you can have a doggy bag, but it's not always practical on a night out.

Often I find side orders to be very tiny, and I don't mind that as I sometimes order a couple of them instead to make up a main meal if they have run out of a vegetarian dish. I also like to leave room for dessert if there is chocolate cake on the menu, so I make sure I eat very lightly so I can order it.

10. Talking about food portions makes me think of how rice is served in Thailand. For some strange reasons, the first helping of rice is always small. Then when you ask for a second helping, the second plate is enough for two persons. I got caught out a few times before I learned to ask for half-a-plate for the second helping of rice.

11. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I love doing this too with side dishes. Plus, the fact that they're small means you can try a couple of different things rather than just one main dish. I find it easier starting small too, and then if I need to order something else if I'm still super hungry I can. It saves ordering big to start with and then just wasting food! :)

12. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

@Miya I am quite surprised to know that in Japan the serving of food is small. All the while I thought Japanese are big eaters. Maybe that impression was brought about by the image of sumo wrestlers. We are going to Japan in March of next year so this thread is beneficial to us. At least we have an idea about the food we will order.

13. Ava

Ava Member

It does depend on the type of establishment too. A local cheaper cafe may serve larger portions and an upscale hotel smaller ones. That's quite normal around the whole world.

Many also offer child or half portions so that can give you an idea of how big they are too.

14. I think the big eaters would be the Arabs. I have had a few Arab students and have been to a couple of Arab restaurants in Malaysia. What they consider to be food for one Arab is usually enough for at least two Malaysians, if not more. I particularly remember eating dinner at the house of the Islamic counsellor of the Saudi embassy. We ate in a big tray. There was fried chicken at the side. I started to break apart one chicken. The host told me to take the whole chicken. Apparently, for the Arabs, one chicken is just enough for one person.

Corzhens likes this.
  15. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

This reminds me of my husband who has the penchant of ordering the kiddie burger for a snack whenever it is available. It started when he ordered an ordinary burger that turned out to be so large that even the 2 of us couldn't finish not to mention the large fries that went with it. And with the kiddie burger, he couldn't go wrong because he could finish it together with the small fries. Tomorrow we are going to Singapore and that kiddie burger would probably his first snack.

16. Really? You must be very small eaters then, or the burgers were meant for Arabs. In Thailand and Malaysia, I can never feel full just one ordinary burger. I either have to order a jumbo three-storey burger or a burger and a hotdog to get a complete meal. This is what I would call a real burger:
    Oxt7pgz.