1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When is the cheapest time to tour Kenya?

Discussion in 'Africa' started by adssolsn, Sep 25, 2015.

1. adssolsn

adssolsn New Member

Kenya is a great place and a marvelous tourist destination that everybody would like to tour someday. the problem is more often than not; the budget. so when can one tour Kenya on a tight budget?

2. planetX

planetX Member

I think a period between January and March would be suitable when the climate is perfect for a visit and will not cost you for any accidental issues on bad health. This is considered to be the best time for safari too.

But if you keen to take cheaper off-season rates on accommodation and tours, you can try somewhere between October and December. But it is an off-peak season and opportunities will be limited. If you are lucky you can have a view of famous wildebeest migration when the herds have returned.

3. integrity101

integrity101 New Member

Kenya is an awesome destination all year round. If you are seeking for the best rates, come during the off-peak season which starts in April and extends all the way to August. If you are keen on exploring the parks and outdoor activities such as camping and mountain climbing, avoid the rainy months of April and August. Otherwise any time of the year is great for a Kenyan safari.

4. maxen57

maxen57 Member

It's best to go there during the dry season on June to October. I think it's because it's easier to spot animals where there's a lot of water to fight off the heat. If you want to go to spend some time at the resort, it will be a good opportunity around this time because it's unlikely to rain. There might be other activities that you can do there because of the season.

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

off-season is good for Kenya, I've been there a few times and the weather has always been good. A lot of Europeans go there say between November and March because that's when it's winter here and they want to go someplace warm but Kenya offers a pretty good weather all year round.

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I have not travel plans to Kenya but based on what I have read about the safari tours, I have to agree that the dry season is the best time. Animals are tamer and not wary of strangers particularly those with big cameras. And I guess it is easier to roam the plains when it is dry for the rains will create mud that would be difficult to move. Regardless of summer or winter - that is hot or cold weather - as long as there is no rain, Kenya is a good destination for adventurers. What I'm interested in are the food that they have there, the fruits and vegetables and, of course, the meat of animals.

7. Coco

Coco Active Member

As others have pointed, June to October are the best months for travelling to Kenya. I would be more specific and suggest July, there's little to no rainfall during this time. But if you are on a budget, travelling during off-season would be your best bet, that is from November to May. Rates are lower during this time because it isn't peak season. The benefits of travelling during these months are:
    • There's beautiful sceneries and views, lush and bountiful greens.
    • You can still see wildlife, although a bit harder as compared to the dry season.
    • During September to April, there are lots of migratory birds to be seen.
    • Avoiding March to May, the rain during the other months are short and happens during the night so it won't affect much of your travel.
    The downside is that lots of lodges close during this time. You have to book in advance to make sure that you will have a place to stay.

I hope this helps!

8. Belovedad

Belovedad New Member

If you're concerned about budget then going in the dry season is not the best idea. At least not the distinct one which would normally be July to October. Try going in the early part of the year. February should do. The place is still relatively dry and the cost is way less.

9. Valentino

Valentino Member

The best and cheapest time to visit Kenya would be when there are few tourists in the country. Thing though is since countries that sit on the equator have like one season all year round, you'll find that there will always be tourists when there is Winter up North and Winter in the Southern hemisphere. So the best time to visit would be either March - June or September-November.