1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When is the wildebeest migration in Kenya?

Discussion in 'Africa' started by adssolsn, Sep 25, 2015.

1. adssolsn

adssolsn New Member

One of the things I would like to see when I visit Kenya is the wildebeest migration. I have seen it on a documentary before, but the real live experience would be simply breath taking, at what time of the year do they move?

2. planetX

planetX Member

I heard that it is one of the most amazing wildlife experiences in the world. There are two famous locations to visit this stunning phenomena that is Serengeti and Masai Mara. The best time to witness this event is from June to August when approximately 1.5 million wildebeest alongwith thousands of zebra and Thomson's Gazzelle prepare to cross the Grumeti River. That is a great amazing scene to watch indeed.

3. Rubie

Rubie Member

I have heard about Masai Mara and the information given by @planetX are fact bout the place. It is good to know that they had preserved their abundant wildlife. Africa is popularly know about their jungles and the wild animals leaving in their place and that's no doubt. I think the main reason why those animals wanted to stay in Africa is because of the place's weather which is perfect for them to live with and that made them comfortable.

4. integrity101

integrity101 New Member

The wildebeest migration has been labeled as one of the great wonders of the world. Over 2 million animals cross the crocodile infested Mara river from Tanzania's Serengeti Park to Masai Mara National Park on the Kenyan side. The event takes place every year between the months of July and October. I'd advise you to consult one of the local tour operators to know exactly when the next migration is expected to take place.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

My husband is fond of watching National Geographic particularly the documentary of Serengeti Plains where wild animals abound including the gnu or wildebeest. But we have no plans in going to Africa primarily for the cost. The Philippines is too far away and we have to take 2 planes in going to Africa because there is no direct flight. Just the mention of a transit already means a big expense to us. And with the animals there, we really don't know if we would enjoy the safari because we might just be scared of the wild animals that may harm us. Maybe we will just suffice our curiosity in the zoo.

6. Valentino

Valentino Member

Safaris are actually quite safe. I've been on a safari tour more than once and learned that there is nothing to fear. Tourists are in vehicles most of the time and the animals aren't too fond of humans and will stay away from you.

p.s By the way I've heard of people who go a step further and camp out in the wild. Now that is what I'd call risky.

Corzhens likes this.
  7. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

Thank you for the information. I have experienced that kind of safari in the vehicle twice - one here in our country and another in the Bangkok zoo just this March. I agree that it is safe and not that scary. But the safari I am referring to is the safari with guns and guide that would include camping at night. I know they are still doing that in some parts of Africa to boost the tourism industry. And most of their clients are the wealthy businessmen in Europe, particularly in UK. I can't imagine to be sleeping inside a tent during that kind of safari, huh.

Valentino likes this.
  8. Francis

Francis New Member

It is between July and August. That is when wildebeest move into the Maasai Mara, crossing the Mara river in large numbers. They move to Serengeti and then back to kenya.