1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where To Go In Hongkong

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Corzhens, May 6, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

First off, buy an octopus card for HK$100 so you can take the train or the tram (big bus). The first in the list is the Big Buddha. You can reach it via the cable car in Tung Chung (that's also the name of the train station). Next is the 10,000 Buddha in Sha Tin. Again, take the train. That's good for one day. And for leisure, you may want a day tour Disneyland and another day tour to Ocean Park. And if you still have time, try going to The Peak for a wonderful scenery.

There are more places but what I had enumerated above are the 5-stars in my list.

2. Phileas80

Phileas80 Member

It doesn't matter how long you're staying in Hong Kong any trip isn't complete without a trip to Tsim Sha Tsui, a great shopping destination with lots of options for eating out. You get to see a mix of old and new architecture and can walk onto the promenade and see the beautiful waterfront view. It's great at any time but the view at night is amazing.

Corzhens likes this.
  3. sararas

sararas Member

If I ever have a chance to ever visiting HongKong again, I sure would like to go to their high-end shopping district. I know I won't be able to afford shopping there, but to me I think it's the closet to New York I could ever be. I only had a glimpse of the district since most of my companions at the two occasions I was there got intimidated by the luxury that it exuded. Another thing I would like to visit is the IKEA shop. Twice, I planned on going there but unfortunately I couldn't convince my companions to even drop by. I'll probably get that chance if I fly out there solo.
    As to the previous comment, yeah TST is a sure great place to explore. The first time we went there was New Year of 2008. It was a truly different kind of experience, the whole streets were just covered with people!

4. ellajanelle

ellajanelle Member

I visited Hong Kong way back 2009 and I feel disappointed that I didn't get to visit some of the places mentioned above in this thread. My Hong Kong trip was great but really short. I only visited Disneyland, Madame Tussauds, Ocean Park, and just did some night market shopping. I stayed in Shamrock Hotel so the only mall I went to was the one across and the prices weren't friendly at all!

5. Coco

Coco Active Member

Thank you for your recommendations. Here's my top five list of must-go-to places in Hong Kong:
    • Symphony of Lights in East Tsim Sha Tsui. This is hailed as the "World's Largest Light and Sound Show" so it's definitely a must see. It features a stunning music and lights synchronisation along with a narrative of the Hong Kong spirit and diversity.
    Symphony_of_Lights.

• Aberdeen Harbour and Jumbo Kingdom. There are two important sights here. One is seeing people living in fishing junks in Aberdeen Harbour. And the other one is experiencing eating in a floating restaurant in Jumbo Kingdom. Both are great experiences and one shouldn't miss when in Hong Kong.
    Aberdeen Harbour:

aberdeen1.

Jumbo Kingdom:

aberdeen3.

• Hollywood Road. If you want to go shopping for souvenirs, better visit Hollywood Road. It has all forms of knick knacks, from antiques to lamps and any kind of souvenir you might take a fancy of.
    Hollywood-Road-HK.
    • Ladies' Market or Street in Mong Kok. Anyone who's been to Hong Kong would definitely know this place. A shopper's dream with all kinds of items, from clothes, toys, makeup and handbags.
    ladies-street-hong-kong-19887994.
    • Wet Land Park. A nice place to be in touch with nature, it has teeming wildlife, from birds, reptiles and even fishes.
    wetland.
    These are probably the lesser known destinations, as compared to The Peak or the Buddha Temples. But I recommend them to anyone visiting Hong Kong, they can make your trip well worth it. If you can, travel the country for a week so you can get to visit all tourist destinations. The food in the country is another thread though. Lol.

Phileas80 likes this.
  6. Miya

Miya Active Member

I was born in Hong Kong and I go back there frequently. The tourist places are nice and all, but I think if you want to experience the ~average~ life of a Hong Konger and see the culture in Hong Kong, you can do that without visiting the tourist places. Hong Kong is separated into 2 parts -- Kowloon and Hong Kong Island. Hong Kong Island is for those who are slightly wealthier while Kowloon is for the average people.

I personally like to frequent the Kowloon side because that's where I'm from and things are more affordable there. If you are going to go to Hong Kong, I'd recommend you hit up Mong Kok. Here you'll find stalls and stalls of street food and streets and streets of vendors selling cheap items. Skip Ladies Street and go for Fa Yuen Street instead. They are both pretty similar, but Ladies Street is a "tourist" spot so their prices are higher.

Also be sure to check out Sham Shui Po! There are also tons of street vendors and street food here. This is also where the technology fans gather so you can find the latest gadgets and whatnot here. They also have a shopping center call "Dragon Centre" and you can get tons of neat stuff from all over Asia there. If you enjoy Korean/Japan culture, this shopping center is a must.

Both Fa Yuen Street and Dragon Centre are located near the MTR centers. So just get off Mong Kok Station and Sham Shui Po Station and you can easily find these places.

Corzhens likes this.
  7. sararas

sararas Member

I didn't think I had the chance to see the Symphony of Lights. Would you remember the schedule for this? I wish I could get a chance to see it next month!
    By the way, where is this last picture? I meant, where does one find this beautiful wetlands? Are those snow-capped mountains? Will this still be around in mid-June? How does one get there if you remember? Also, which part of HK is Hollywood Road?

8. sararas

sararas Member

Hi! You mentioned that you're from HK originally. So, I'll take a chance to ask in case you know the answer. Do you think a tourist can enter Hongkong University even without any business doing there? My brother's attending a conference there next month, so he has reason to be there. As for me, I'm just tagging along and I'm wondering if I may be allowed to visit the university. I know it's not a touristy thing to do, but I just want to see how universities outside my country look like.

9. Miya

Miya Active Member

Sorry, but I don't know for sure.

A lot of universities don't allow non-students and unrelated people to go on their campus because they're afraid they'll vandalize something. There might be an exception for that day because a conference is going on (so they'll expect visitors), but I'd double check before wandering around. They'll probably let you in the school, but expect you to go to the conference so they won't want you wandering around.

Although if you're just going to look and visit the bookstore or dining hall or something like that, you'll be fine. But if you plan to poke around the dorms and classrooms, then I'd probably get permission first to avoid misunderstandings.

10. Coco

Coco Active Member

@sararas

Hi! The Symphony of Lights in Hong Kong is staged every night at 8 PM. The show has five major themes namely: Awakening, Energy, Heritage, Partnership and Celebration. But if you want to truly enjoy it, catch the English broadcast during Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Other remaining days broadcast on Putonghua and Cantonese. It doesn't have an entrance fee though you can opt to watch from the sightseeing ferries in Victoria Harbour.

The Wetland Park can be found in the Northern part of Tin Shui Wai in Yuen Long. Its specific address is Wetland Park Road, Tin Shui Wai, New Territories. It is open during June but particularly during Mondays, Wednesdays up to Sundays only. It is closed during Tuesdays and the Lunar Chinese New Year. But on public holidays, it is open. And yes, those are snowcapped mountains.;p A few ways to get there:
    • Transfer to the Light Rail Route 705 or 706 at Tin Shui Wai Station of MTR West Rail. Then you would need to get off at the light rail's Wetland Park Station.
    • Take buses number 264M, 276B or 967. They will all pass to the park.
    • Go to Tin Heng Estate Bus Terminus by taking buses number K73, K76, 265B, 265M, 276A. You would need to walk for 10 to 15 minutes after to reach the park.
    Lastly, Hollywood Road can be found in Central and Sheung Wan. They're in Hong Kong Island in Hong Kong.

I hope this helps!

11. Rachel

Rachel Member

It depends if it is an open campus. If there is no security to get through then you won't have a problem getting anywhere on campus that requires any form of student ID or a swipe card.

12. maxen57

maxen57 Member

Disneyland, Ocean Park and the Ladies market would be on my list plus sampling the local cuisine. My son would be thrilled to be at Disneyland since he's a huge fan of the lovable Disney characters. The Ocean Park will be an adventure since he has never seen ocean animals in real life and would like to be able to touch one too, if it's possible. The market would be good for some frugal shopping for souvenirs and personal items. It wouldn't be too foreign since there would be a lot of Filipinos there too.

13. sararas

sararas Member

Haha, oh NO - I won't be poking around dorms or classrooms. Nothing like that promise. My interest is generally just to get the whole "FEEL" of the university. I come from a very small state university and was just looking at google map yesterday, and saw that the HongKong University is so VAST - like a city of its own. So my interest got piqued. When I was younger, I dreamed of studying abroad, but well, I'm poor so could only afford being a scholar to a state university. I figured, this might be a chance to see what a university outside my country looks like.

14. sararas

sararas Member

Thank you very much. I truly appreciate the information you have given here. I hope my plans to visit will push through and I can do this on my own. My brother will be busy attending a conference, so I will be left to my own devices. So am thinking of ways to spend time while waiting for him to finish his conference schedule. Lastly, would you still remember how much the entrance fee to Wetland Park Station, if there is one?

15. sararas

sararas Member

Thanks. I'll look into it. It's a very huge university. Perhaps, they allow visitors for tour of the campus. I'll just check if my plan to go there pushes through. I sure don't want to cause trouble. Just wanting to find ways to while away time while waiting for my brother's conference to finish.

16. Miya

Miya Active Member

You should be fine then. I think most universities don't mind if you check out their bookshop/restaurants. Since you are accompanying your brother to the conference, it's reasonable for you to at least check those out while you wait for him. Student IDs will only be required to enter the campus or if you want to use their facilities. If you are already allowed on campus, walking around (without disturbance) and purchasing items from them should be ok I think.

17. Coco

Coco Active Member

@sararas

Here's the list of the different ticket prices in Wetland Park:
    • The standard/single entry ticket price is $30 HK. Children aged 3-17, students, PWDs and senior citizens have a discounted price of $15 HK. And children below the age of 3 years old are free to enter.
    • You can also avail of multi-entry tickets. The standard price for this would be $100 HK for a full year and half of that for a half year. Children aged 3-17, students, PWDs and senior citizens have a discounted price of $50 HK for a full year and $25 HK for a half year. There's also this package for a family of 4, they only need to pay $200 HK for a full year.
    • There are also some group packages although I won't be including that since you said you're going to be travelling alone to the park.
    I hope this helps!

18. I'm quite young so the first place I'd visit in Hong Kong is Disneyland ofcourse, it's the happiest place on earth! When I went there a few years ago with my family we booked a hotel in Red Light District unknowingly but it was good for us because we got to in walking distance at the Night Market. Hong Kong was a pretty memorable trip for us because we also went to Ocean Park and got to eat some pretty tasty hawker food on a budget.

19. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

The last time we were in Hongkong, we spotted the large chestnuts about 4 times the size of the ordinary. Immediately, my husband bought 2 kilos to be brought home. I am always overwhelmed with the things sold in Mongkok. Cheap items, especially the clothes and bags. However, some of those items are fake according to one friend in Hongkong.

The other year, my husband and I went to Tsim Sha Tsui and just strolled for whatever we may see. There was this fruit vendor with cheap red cherries. We bought half a kilo and ate it while walking in the city. When consumed, we looked at each other and agreed to go back to buy another half kilo. And for a nightcap, we really love that Lamb Biryani of Ebeneezer restaurant right in the city.

20. Miya

Miya Active Member

Most products in Mong Kok are knock-offs. That's why they're so cheap. If you're someone who doesn't care for the brand, then it's a great option to shop in Mong Kok. Their products are cheap and worth the price for its quality. I've gotten a couple of backpacks at Mong Kok that have lasted me years (longer than the branded stuff).

Corzhens likes this.