1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is your favorite Asian festival?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by planetX, Sep 29, 2015.

1. planetX

planetX Member

My favorite festival is Holi which is celebrated in India. I think this is one of the most active festivals of India which is also called festival of colors. It resembles the tomato festival of Spain. It is filled with so much fun and frolic when everybody starts coloring each other with spray guns, colored powder etc.

The celebration starts early morning and by afternoon the street will be filled with people of various colors. I have never seen any other festival having so much of fun. Kids are the ones who enjoy the most as they are licensed to spray colors to anybody.

2. Waqsi

Waqsi New Member

I don't know much about Asian festivals but my favourite is Eid-ul-fitr which is mostly called as 'Eid'. Eid is a festival of joy and it comes after the holy month of Ramadan and its not only celebrated by muslims, but also by non muslim brothers as well. Eid is celebrated in the memory of Prophet Mohammed. In the festival of Eid, we start our day with the prayer known as 'Namaz' and after namaz, we hug everyone and spread happiness. After namaz, we visit homes of our relatives, friends etc and similarly, they visit our home. A special sweet dish is prepared on the day of Eid which is called 'sewayi'. Along with it, many other dishes are prepared and served to our guests.
    Hence, its my favourite festival as its the festival of joy and all about spreading happiness. :)

3. vinaya

vinaya Member

Unlike Europe and America, Asia is a diverse continent. Various cultures and traditions are followed in Asia. Since I am a Hindu, I also follow Hindu festival. Some of the great Hindu festival followed in India are Holi and Ganesha Puja. In Nepal, some of the popular Hindu festival are Shivaratri, Krishna Asthami, Indrajatra etc.

4. planetX

planetX Member

Yes, you are right. India is a home for diverse cultures and beliefs. The main strength of the country is unity in the midst of diversity. Here in India you can see people of all regions take part in almost all festivals irrespective their beliefs.

I got a lot of friends from almost all religions in India and I take part in their festivals too. They also visit my home during special occasions. The main advantage is that you can enjoy festivals round the year.

5. Rubie

Rubie Member

As an Asian country, Philippines has a lot of Festival celebrations. There's Cultural, Religious, No-Religious or Indigenous, Film festivals, Flower festivals and et chetera. Actually there is no estimated number of Festivals celebrated here in the Philippines because of its abundancy. Filipinos are typically happy people and love to celebrate.

The Top 5 best Festival Celebrations are:

Sinulog Festival of Cebu City which is a religious and cultural activity celebrated by the Cebuanos. It is a feast day celebration of Sr. Sto. Nino de Cebu and showcase a Sinulog Grand Parade participated not only by Cebuanos (residents of Cebu City) but contigents from all over the Philippines.

Dinagyang Festival of Ilo-ilo City is the Queen festival of the Philippines. It is considered to be the best festival in the Philippines and associated by the Philippine Tourism Offices.

Maskkara Festival of Bacolod City symbolizes Filipino attitude of being happy despite of problems that are encountered.

Ati-Atihan Festival of Kalibo Aklan is a religious celebration of Sto. Nino with street dancing.

Kadayawan Festival of Davao City is a thanksgiving celebration.

Among those celebrations I'm favorable of Sinulog Festival. Although almost all festival here in the Philippines are fun, Sinulog is the best for me.

vinaya likes this.
  6. Lucinda Dominguez

Lucinda Dominguez New Member

My favorite festival in the Philippines is known as the Panagbenga. Translated, it means "Blooming Flowers". This festival that lasts for a month goes on from Febuary to March. What I love about the Panagbenga festival is the parade as they have floats filled with fresh flowers. There is a lot of cultural dancing, too, and it is such a delightful occasion! That city, Baguio, which is known as the summer capital of the Philippines, has smiling and hospitable people, and it is not expensive to travel there. Though when there is that festival, I would advise you to book a room a few months ahead as travelers do flock there.

Novelangel, vinaya and planetX like this.
  7. vinaya

vinaya Member

In just few weeks, my home country Nepal will celebrate Dashain, the great festival of Nepal. Dashain is also celebrated in India and in other countries where Hindus live. Dashain is a 15 day festival in Nepal. Dashian is also called navaratra, Durga puja of Dushera.

Another great festival lined up for the people in Nepal is Bhai Tika, which is a five day festival. The third day of Bhai Tika is Diwali.

8. genkiWORld

genkiWORld New Member

I love a lot of Asian festivals, but my favorite, right after the Chinese and Japanese new year’s celebration is the Obon festival.

Obon is a Japanese festival celebrated in august throughout japan to honor the dearly departed. During Obon a huge festival will be held with dancing, singing, drumming and plenty of food too. The Japanese believe that during Obon the spirits of their dearly departed will return to earth for the time to celebrate once more with their loved ones, so the festival is given in their honor and lanterns will be light too and sent floating in lakes. The best part of Obon is the amazing firework displays at the end of the day.

vinaya likes this.
  9. planetX

planetX Member

Thanks for letting me know of this enchanting celebration. I like flowers a lot. It would be very beautiful to see when entire city is filled with flowers of various colors. I really wish to go there during this festival. I heard that it also includes a lot of street dancing and various other activities. One of my friends told me that it is a month long annual festival. Is that right? Then I think we can visit any time during the month as per our convenience.

vinaya likes this.
  10. vinaya

vinaya Member

Since cultural anthropology is my subject of interest, I like to attend festivals. Some of the Asian festivals that attracts me are: Chinese New Year celebration in China, Dragon boat festival in China, Ganesha Puja in India, Indrajatra in Nepal, Spring festival in Japan. Amongst these Asian festivals, I have only attended Ganesha puja and Indiajatra.

Lucinda Dominguez likes this.
  11. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

The most fun festival for me was the Sapporo Snow festival up in Hokkaido, the northernmost island of Japan. It's held in February each year and there are some seriously amazing sculptures made out of snow and ice! It's such an awesome sight to see. I highly recommend it if you ever visit Japan in winter, it's one of my most fond travel memories of anywhere I've been!

12. Coco

Coco Active Member

My favourite festival in the Philippines is the "Ligligan Parul" or the Giant Lantern Festival. Basically, it is a competition of "parols" or lanterns among the different municipalities in the province of Pampanga. It is celebrated during the month of December, as an anticipation for the upcoming Christmas holidays.

This festival or competition is free for spectators to watch. The lanterns are about 18 feet in diameter. They compete in terms of design and prominent judges like celebrities decide which is the winner. There are three rounds to the competition:

• First round: The lanterns dance to music for a few minutes.
    • Second round: Done in pairs and the judges choose which music to play.
    • Third round: All the lanterns will dance at the same music.
    I highly recommend this festival to anyone who visits the Philippines during the Christmas season.

13. ellajanelle

ellajanelle Member

I love Baguio (Philippines)' Panagbenga festival. I am a big fan of anything floral, what more if they parade real actual flowers in all their blooming splendor! It's a feast for the eyes to witness the parade of flowers forming different shapes and images. When the parade takes place, a lot of people stand on the edge of the streets and just admire the beauty of the blooming flowers.

14. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

I love cherry blossom festivals in Japan. The atmosphere is mesmerizing. Great food, kimonos, goldfish catching, and lovely cherry trees. Plus, there's so much dancing go on!

The other one I like:
    Kanamara Matsuri, also known as The Festival of the Steel Phallus. I'd got into detail, but it's better just to look at the pictures.

amelia88 likes this.
  15. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Friends of mine in Japan have told me about Kanamara Matsuri! I don't know that I would be able to hold a straight face!

And yes - cherry blossom time in Japan is magical - hanami parties are so much fun!

16. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

I was delighted to have been able to experience one of these festivals first-hand while I visited friends in the Philippines. I took tons of pictures and posed with the dancers. The friend I was traveling with and I, had a wonderful time and I only wish I had video of the experience. She took the video and during one of the monsoons shortly thereafter, her house was flooded and she lost everything, including the computer she had been using at the time. So I never got a copy of the video, but the memories are still very fresh in my mind to this day.

17. Myrr

Myrr Member

There are many festivals in the Philippines but personally, I consider the Masskara Festival and the Moriones Festival the best among the lot. I guess I like them because of the masks used by the performers. Masskara is held during the 3rd week of October in Bacolod, while Moriones is held in Marinduque during Holy Week. Both festivals are yearly celebrated and masks are prominently used. I was able to witness both and it was a worthwhile experience, although a bit tiring.