1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Is Thеrе Lеss Intеrеst In Trаvеling Tо Lаtin Аmеriса Соmpаrеd Tо Еurоpе & Аsiа?

Discussion in 'South America' started by WilliamV, Apr 30, 2016.

1. WilliamV

WilliamV New Member

Еvеrybоdy hаs thеir оwn rеаsоns fоr whеrе thеy gо аnd whеrе thеy dоn't gо, оbviоusly. I hаvе а sоmеwhаt uniquе lifеstylе sеtup whеrе I rаndоmly gо аnd livе аbrоаd, tеасhing Еnglish. Оbviоusly, I соuld сhооsе tо dо this in Sоuth Аmеriсаn соuntriеs. I hаvеn't аs оf yеt bесаusе оf thе fоllоwing:

Mоnеy. Thе Еnglish tеасhing jоbs in Sоuth Аmеriса tеnd tо bе prеtty pооrly pаid in соmpаrisоn tо jоbs in Еаst Аsiа. I сurrеntly livе аnd wоrk in Аstаnа, Kаzаkhstаn; а lаrgе pаrt оf thе rеаsоn fоr this is thаt thе bеnеfits аnd pаy аrе оutstаnding. I did асtuаlly lооk intо sоmе оppоrtunitiеs in Сhilе, аnd gоt оffеrеd а jоb thеrе... but thеrе wаs nо hоusing аssistаnсе, аnd thе pаy wаs vеry lоw. Соuldn't justify it.

Lаnguаgе. I dоn't spеаk Spаnish. Оn thе оthеr hаnd, I spеаk Russiаn аnd Jаpаnеsе. Соnsеquеntly, I hаvе livе/wоrkеd in Jаpаn, Kyrgyzstаn, Kаzаkhstаn, аnd Russiа. Nоt tо sаy thаt I dоn't think I соuld lеаrn Spаnish... surеly I соuld... but thаt's stаrting оvеr frоm grоund lеvеl аgаin.

Distаnсе. I'm аn Аmеriсаn, but аs pоintеd оut аbоvе, I'vе spеnt а lоt оf my timе living in Аsiа. This mаkеs gоing tо Sоuth Аmеriса а lоооооng hаul.

This dоеsn't mеаn I саtеgоriсаlly hаvе nо intеrеst, thоugh. I'vе оftеn fаntаsizеd аbоut rеtiring in а Сеntrаl/Sоuth Аmеriсаn соuntry; niсе wеаthеr, lаid-bасk сulturе (соmpаrаtivеly), аnd сhеаpеr соst оf living.

2. Phileas80

Phileas80 Member

I'm not too sure there is, going by this forum there is much less discussion on South America though. I think it really depends where people are based, for North Americans travelling south into Latin America is not such a big deal. For people based in Europe and Asia I think it becomes more difficult to do.

I'm personally based in The UK and also dream of living in Central or South America one day, it's a huge difference in lifestyle but it's something I would love to experience one day.

As an English speaker, there are Asian countries that are easier to navigate but culturally it's difficult to find what Latin America has to offer.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I have been traveling to Asian countries since 2012. This year of 2016, we had gone to Bangkok and later this year we have a trip to Singapore. It is my dream to get out of Asia for once although our plane tickets for next year are for Malaysia and Japan. With Latin America, I would love to see Brazil and my husband prefers Peru (for the historical aspect). Given a choice between Europe and Latin America, I would always choose Europe anytime. As I had posted in another thread, any European country is good fodder for our camera.

4. maxen57

maxen57 Member

The language barrier would definitely be one reason because Spanish is also a challenging language. One cannot be sure if any local can converse in English. One thing I've noticed through soap operas is that they seem to have a similarity in terms of the local scenery with us here in the Philippines, especially in Mexico. I suppose they also have sunny beaches, the usual hotspots in cities and local specialties like we do here. I also thought that where Filipinos excel in singing, they excel in dancing. Perhaps learning about the culture would also be one reason to travel there in Latin America.

5. There are a lot of things that are wrong with Latin America that may be the reasons behind someone not choosing to travel there including:
    • High poverty rate which leads us to
    • High criminality rate
    • Different currency (people can scam you while exchanging your currency unless you have a debit/credit card and purchase only with it)
    • and as maxen57 said, language barrier for those who don't know to speak Latin American languages.

6. krnd

krnd New Member

I would say that depending on the country you will find some issues that you would find in North America to some degree as well. Venezuela for example is a beautiful country with amazing nature all around, and you could live like a king with very little (pay $20 a night and stay in a 5-star Hotel), but the highest crime rates in the world do not justify any of this, everyone wants to get back home safely and that should always be the priority.

7. sararas

sararas Member

Distance and money will have to be the issue for me. I would love to go and visit Peru just to see a glimpse of Machu Picchu. I love seeing ruins and all. I hope I could get the chance of ever visiting it at least once in my lifetime. Off the top of my head, the possibility is nearing zero. But just recently I saw a high school classmate who just visited it and Brazil. I was so happy for her, and got excited looking at the pictures of the places she's been to. Who knows it could happen to me. If money and time won't be an issue, you'll probably expect me there and then.

8. Valentino

Valentino Member

Apparently the reason most people would rather not visit Latin America is because they believe it is dangerous. Why with all the drug cartels in Central America, and South America home to cities with some of the highest crime rates in the world, I'd assume those are good enough reasons to travel to safer places in Asia and Europe and North America.

9. Ava

Ava Member

South America is a place I would love to explore, but there are many reasons why it's not practical. First, a female traveling alone isn't such a wise choice, public transport is sparse, and it can be dangerous if you go off the beaten track. A trip needs to be prepared in advance, and travel there is not cheap.

The heightened risks of the zika virus, drugs, and kidnappings are other factors too. I think if I had a male to go with, finances, and good contacts it would be better, and as I don't have any of those at present, I have to put that trip on hold.

10. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

The recent Rio Olympics opened up Brazil to the world. And although the event is a promotion of its country, we can read between the lines about the problems of Brazil especially so that during the Olympics, the impeachment of their president was ongoing (eventually Pres. Dilma Rousseff has been removed from office). And now the problems are emerging with the protest marches because of the financial difficulty of Brazil. I cannot imagine to be touring that country at this time when there is a turmoil like that.

11. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I think for me the only real thing stopping me from going to Latin America is money - it is somewhere I would love to go someday.

I have heard from some people that crime does worry them - you hear reports in the news and things like that of people getting mugged, kidnapped and all manner of things - but one of my friends who went to central and south America didn't find she felt unsafe at all. I guess it depends what regions you're going to, perhaps?

12. I don't think that there is less interest in traveling to South America so much that every time someone says they want to go there are at least three people, who they may or may not know, telling them all the reasons why they shouldn't. In some people's minds, South America is seen as this wild jungle with mosquito hitchhiking disease (Zika/malaria), millions of specie s bugs and spiders, man eating reptiles, jaguars, and drug lords. Sorry, but South America has a very rough reputation for not being safe that it will have a hard time shaking off to timid travelers.

13. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

Well, actually only 50% have the Internet. Others are underdeveloped as of yet. Latin America is only partially well-developed. That's why. Anyway, you don't have to worry about the net that much. Travelling is kind of an escape from all of that. Treat it that way just like I do, you know.