1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wineries

Discussion in 'Australia' started by amelia88, Apr 11, 2016.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I have already vacationed to Australia before but would love to go back one day. One thing I would really like to go back for is for wine tasting!

Some friends of mine went, I think it was to the Barossa Valley? They had a really nice time and spoke about it very highly as one of the most enjoyable parts of their vacation.

Has anyone been to a winery or wine tasting tour in Australia? Are there any regions other than the Barossa Valley that are known for wines there?

2. Coco

Coco Active Member

Hi! I have said before that it's a must to try wine tasting in Australia. Here's a few wineries that I can recommend to you, let's start with South Australia:
    • Seppeltsfield Winery. It's a must to take a sip of their Tawny, a hundred year old, vintage wine. This place also offers a lot of foods that can go with your wine tasting, certainly a must go to wine tasting destination. You'll know that you're in Seppeltsfield when you see the line of palm trees inviting you into the winery.
    • Shaw and Smith Winery. I recommend the Pinot Noir in combination with some cheese, delicious! This place is pretty popular though so make sure you go in early to avoid the long lines.
    • Paxton Vineyards. What I love about this place is they have a variety of great tasting wines. I recommend the Graciano or the Rose, both have exotic tastes.
    Now, let's go to the North:
    • Krinklewood Biodynamic Vineyard. Basically, a vineyard grown from sustainable farming by a lovely couple. You cannot get fresher and more organic wines than in here.
    • Bimbadgen Winery. This place delivers well because aside from the vineyard, it also has an accommodation room for sampling wines and food.
    • Brokenwood Wines. Try out Shiraz, it's their best seller wine! This winery was founded 40 years ago by self-proclaimed wine lovers. So you're sure of the quality and taste of whatever wine you try out.
    With regards to the Barossa Valley, it can be found on the South. There are over 150 wineries in there but I didn't include it here since you asked for other wineries aside from the ones in the Barossa Valley. But I would also recommend this place because aside from the wines, the view is spectacular:

881f8a28_4d38_4895_8fd7_f5fb3b849984.
    I hope this helps you!

amelia88 likes this.
  3. maxen57

maxen57 Member

I've had very few chances to have white and red wine on special occasions but I'd like to try something a little more than the cheap variety we were used to. Usually when wine is discussed, I can only think of two locations: France and Italy. But as I've found out, there are other locations where wine is just as good such as Clare Valley and its Reisling wine in Australia. Hunter Valley, McLaren Vale, Swan Valley and Yarra Valley are all good options as well. Trips to wineries were I will have the chance to have a taste of the location's specialty is something I would like to experience with friends and loved ones someday.

4. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

The good thing about Australian wine is that you can find SOME (maybe not enough for you) bottles from there pretty much anywhere in the world. It's quite a big wine country. Of course being there would bring a completely different feel for the wine tasting... and I'd certainly consider that if I ever find myself in Australia.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

My husband had experienced wine tasting when he was in California, am not just sure where exactly in California. I have seen a documentary of a winery in Australia where the owner was explaining about the quality of the grapes in the vineyard that affects the quality of the wine. I'm not a wine drinker and it would be silly for me to engage in wine tasting but what I'm most interested in is the vineyard. It would be amusing to me to see a demo on how the vines are pruned and also the manner or style of harvesting. We have a grapevine that is outgrowing the trellis so I suppose it can already bear fruits. However, we don't know anything about vines.

6. Rachel

Rachel Member

I have taken part in wine tasting a couple of times, but not in the 'proper' sense, where you spit out the wine rather than swallowing it. In my book that would be a crime! It really is an enjoyable experience, and one you've had a few drinks, it definitely loosens the purse strings so you leave having purchased a few bottles of the speciality of the vineyard!