1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World's Best Airports

Discussion in 'Asia' started by amelia88, May 11, 2016.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

One inevitable fact of traveling is that we have to go through airports - and there's the good, the bad and the ugly when it comes to those, I think!

http://www.worldairportawards.com/awards/world_airport_rating.html

This list has the world rankings for the best airports for this year. Singapore Changi and Incheon in Seoul come in the first and second spots.

What has been your best airport experience? And your worst, perhaps?

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

As is my wont, I did not click on the link. However, I have my own rating for the airports I have been.

1. Let me start with the best airport, that is Hongkong International. In 1992, I had been to Kai Tak, the old airport but this new one is world class with the space and the design.
    2. Next is the Bangkok airport which is officially named Suvarnabhumi airport. Like my description of Hongkong International Airport, Bangkok's airport is also world class.
    3. Maybe Singapore can join the big league because their airport has a unique interior. My favorite is their interior garden which is like a small jungle.

And the last in the list would be... Ninoy Aquino International Airport. I'm sorry to say that our own airport is the worst (in all airports that I had gone to).

amelia88 likes this.
  3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Hong Kong Airport came in at number five on the list, so it sounds like a lot of people love it there too!

Bangkok Intl Airport was at number 36.

Japanese airports also fared very highly but that doesn't surprise me, as they were some of the cleanest and most organized airports I've visited! :)

4. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

Both Amsterdam and Helsinki have been really pleasant experiences. Simple, effective, easy. Worst one? Addis Ababa without a doubt. Not only did they not have any sort of destination, flight number etc written at the gates, they didn't even have the gate numbers! Basically you just have to ask around and someone will show you the door that you need to sit next to. Absolutely horrible!

5. Miya

Miya Active Member

I like the Hong Kong International Airport and the Chubu Centrair Airport. I've had a great experience everytime. I was just at the Centrair Airport actually... the staff were friendly and everything went smoothly. Plus there are tons of places to shop and tons of restaurants to eat at (for a reasonable price!!) while you wait for your flight.

6. Rachel

Rachel Member

Schipol is a fantastic airport and caters literally for every taste and budget! The downside is that it's massive and it can take you around 45 minutes from the gate you disembark from and the gate you need to get your connection from, so you need to bare that in mind while you are browsing the many duty free shops there. But as an airport, it's definitely one of the best I've passed through. It's not cheap, though, I paid 11 euro for a glass of house wine! :eek:

7. crimsonghost747

Yeah it's pretty big but it's well designed so it stays functional. I've never had a connection there, just flew to/from there quite a few times and yeah the distances can be long even in that case. It's nice that they have those... what do you call them anyway? Like an escalator but it doesn't take you up or down, just forward. :p I love walking but those are great for people with a lot of luggage, kids or simply older people who have trouble walking long distances.

Rachel likes this.
  8. Rachel

Rachel Member

Travelators - awesome inventions - and in my opinion should replace pavements!

9. Coco

Coco Active Member

My best airport experience would have to be with Incheon International Airport. Here's a few reasons why:
    • I must commend their staff because everyone moves so quickly. You won't encounter delays with your flights.
    • Then, I must also mention that this airport has a 0.0001% rate for baggage mishandling. How great is that, right? It's simply rare to even encounter loss baggages when your flight is here.
    • The airport is very huge but very well-maintained, it's clean all the time that I was there. It's well-lighted and has several gardens as well.
    • Easy wi-fi access, you don't even need to enter a password for it.
    • A playroom for children which is very handy for families that are travelling.
    • There are lots of entertainment options, cinemas, shopping areas and even a golf course.
    And now, sadly, the worse airport I've ever been to, Colombo Bandaranaike International Airport. Here's a few reasons why:
    • The bathrooms are very dirty, the smell can even radiate around the area.
    • Pushy cart carriers wanting to carry your luggage for a price.
    Anyway, there's definitely room for improvement. My country's airport isn't the best but it has improved a lot from the past years.

10. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

That sounds like a recipe for disaster! How on earth do people know they're in the right spot?! No gate numbers, no flight details...sounds like you just have to hope that whoever you're asking is giving you the right information and you're sitting where you need to be!

The whole concept makes me anxious! I guess though it's sometimes like that at other airports, even when they do have the gate numbers/flights signed clearly - I've been to many airports where they do last minute gate changes, and they always seem to be on the other side of the terminal! So you end up having to sprint to get to the other boarding gate on time!

11. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I think this in particular is such a wonderful thing. I can't imagine how hard it would be to try and travel with kids - there's just a whole new set of challenges in terms of keeping them entertained! And I know for my friends with children, most of their kids are at the stage where they just don't want to sit still, and have to be up and moving around so they can burn off some energy. It's great to see an airport that's thinking of passengers from all age groups, and I'm sure parents are incredibly thankful for a space dedicated just for kids!

12. sararas

sararas Member

I have not traveled the world much. But I'm pretty glad that I've been to at least 3 of the top airports: Changi, Seoul, and HK!
    Or perhaps Changi doesn't count. See, I've only been to their 'budget' side of the airport. But even the budget airport is great. Thus, I won't be surprised if the rest of the Changi airport is the best. Ah Seoul, yeah - one of the best airports I've been. I like that you can practically roam the whole airport and enjoy much of your time as if you're not there only in transit. It's just like you're enjoying your regular mall. They practically have everything there, and it's HUGE! What I love is their contacts with local malls, where early check-in is possible. When you have extra time in your hands, where to leave your baggage can be a hassle. But in my experience during a visit in 2010, we only went to Co-Ex Mall and had our baggage check-in. We practically didn't carry any luggage when it was time to hit the airport. So Incheon's coordination with malls is pretty telling of how impressive they run their airports.
    HK, being my first experience to travel abroad, will always be memorable. We got so fascinated with the airport that it took us some time to reach the baggage carousel. When we got there, our assigned carousel has changed flights. We thought we lost our luggage, but then a fine airport staff easily spied us, and direct us to where they kept our luggage with the stern reminder to immediately get our bags back on our next visit to HK as they cater to so many flights, so everything runs fast.

13. crimsonghost747

It is a recipe for disaster! Absolutely horrible. Good thing the flight (by the ohh so lovely Ethiopian Airways... I'm still surprised I got out alive) was delayed at least 3h, so I did have plenty of time to find the right gate! :p

14. Rachel

Rachel Member

I remember being in Brunei airport for a 10 hour layover coming back from Thailand. It wasn't so much that it's a horrendous airport - we just hit it at a really bad time. There was no catering outlets open due to it being Ramadan, and all we had to eat and drink was small 'care packages' that the airport had thought to provide for those travellers who don't observe that religious festival; juice boxes and some unidentifiable sandwiches. The only part of the airport that was open was the Prayer Room! Most of us just slept for the duration!

amelia88 likes this.
  15. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I'm convinced that sometimes sleeping is truly the best way to pass time on long layovers (or long flights for that matter!)

I love when I actually manage to fall asleep on a plane and wake up to several hours having gone by - it goes by so much faster!

As for the food situation, I swear I am like a pack rat and I always bring some sort of snacks/food in my carry on. Permitted stuff, of course - but I just hate getting into situations where there's nowhere to grab food once I get off a plane and then I'm super hungry!

16. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I haven't been to to many airports because I usually do not travel by plane but I have some friends who were travelling a lot by planes and they told me about their opinions and it is very similar although they never met each other ad obviously never talked about this. They both agreed that Munich Airport was the best one on their list and they mix it up after that but generally speaking there was Zurih airport, London and one of them loved the one in Rome and the other one loved the one in Paris. I just saw the one in Malta, Sofia and Athens. I have to say that Sofia Airport is okay.