1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would You Quit Your Job To Travel Indefinitely?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by amelia88, Jun 17, 2016.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I read an article this week about a lady who at 35 quit her stable well paying job to travel indefinitely. She saved $16,000 before she quit to fund her travels, and has done work here and there to earn some extra income in the countries she has visited.

Is this something you think you could ever do?

I love traveling, but I don't know that I could take the risk of just quitting my job to do it!

2. GraceB

GraceB New Member

No, but mainly because I wouldn't be able to earn enough by doing "little there, little here". It's great that someone can live on $16,000 a year, but I'm burning through that in six months even when just living normally, so when traveling that wouldn't last for long.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I am a traveler of sorts since we go abroad at least twice a year. But I have to work in order to live and even if I would have a windfall, say a lotto jackpot, maybe I would remain as I am and travel only occasionally. Besides, I'm too old for adventures and what I want is a simple and quiet life. I couldn't afford to do that permanent traveling because I have a family and a home to speak of. Whenever we would go out of the country, even for 3 or 4 days only, I would be very excited on our trip back home. For me, there is truth in the saying that there's no place like home.

4. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis New Member

Yep. Absolutely.
    It has always been one of my childhood dreams. In fact, one of the reasons I chose my job is that it pays pretty good, and I only need to work (hard) for at most 10-15 years to save me enough money to travel the world freely and indefinitely!
    Also, not having any significant family ties also helps. A lot.

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I hear you! That's kind of my thought. The article I read mentioned she was only spending like $100 a week for food, lodging and everything, but I think that was when she was traveling in South East Asia. Some other parts in the world you'd be burning through $100 in a day or two for those kinds of things!

6. Miya

Miya Active Member

I love to travel, but traveling takes a lot of money. Unless she is talking about traveling via road trip or on foot, $16,000 will be gone in an instant. "A little here and there" isn't enough to fund long-term travels. And to quit my job and leave my family and entire life behind just to go traveling....?

Nah, I couldn't do it.

7. Phileas80

Phileas80 Member

It sounds nice but is most realistic if you save up a lot of money. The best option would be to learn skills that can be monetized around the world, or start a business that you can run from anywhere. The best options include English teaching, copywriting and programming. These are easy to learn but there are literally hundreds of things you can do. The whole digital nomad movement is based on this idea.

8. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I would if I wasn't from Serbia but even so I wouldn't do it like she did it. I would make a job out of it. It is not original but what the hell. I good vlog, blog or whatever, of me travelling and visiting different places, doing crazy, stupid things and trying out food all filmed, I think it would be a nice profit and if not, well I already work from my PC so I could do that everywhere.

9. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Active Member

As much as I enjoy traveling, I still want to have a place that I can call home. I actually haven't had that in a while... I've been moving around so much that there really hasn't been any point in renting or buying a place. But yeah, I want to travel more but I don't want to do it 24/7.

10. Valerie

Valerie Active Member

While I didn't do what the woman in the article did exactly, I did more or less just quit my job, hopped on a plan and moved to a foreign country with no idea what I was doing. Honestly, I'd do it again (although I would keep my homestead here in Japan). Sometimes what seems like a ridiculous notion is exactly the most important thing you'll ever do. Dropping everything to travel the world might seem a wee bit crazy, but if she plays her cards correctly, does freelance jobs abroad and budgets, she'll have the time of her life. More power to her, I say.

But it is difficult. If you don't plan correctly, you could end up in a red light district doing more than washing dishes for a plane ticket home.

11. Novelangel

Novelangel Member

I would never just quit my job to travel. First of all, working here and there doesn't bring in a lot of cash flow unless you are working very hard here and there, which would mean she is probably doing more work than she is traveling. Where's the fun in that? Secondly, it is really hard finding work online that brings in the kind of money you'd need to get by on a daily basis. She would likely need to spend more time looking for online work, if that's the kind she's chosen to take, than she would actually doing the work.

12. I have traveled a bit but I didn't have to quit my job to do it. What I did was to work in different places. For the past few years, I had re-located to a few places in Thailand while teaching English as a second language. I started in Jana, a small town about two hundred kilometers north of the Malaysian-Thai border. That town is famous as the center for breeding Ring-Neck Singing Doves. People from all over the ASEAN region go there to buy new breeding stock. Then I moved a bit further up to Songkhla. This is an old town by the sea. Seafood is not cheap because of the tourists but it's plentiful and always fresh. Every day, I can eat fish and prawn that's caught that very day. My last job was in Chumphon, which is about half-way to Bangkok. This is in the middle of durian orchards. I was there during the durian season and I had durians for lunch every day

13. I probably won't quit working but with the internet connecting the world, the idea of working and traveling isn't impossible anymore. I would love to travel maybe not indefinitely but for a couple years while I'm still young. I'm working to save enough that i can travel the world for a couple years so I can say in a country for a couple weeks instead of trying to absorb a country in a day. It doesn't make sense to me to travel when I'm old and retired.

14. That's not exactly true. It depends on how you define old and when you retire. If you retire at, say, fifty and you are in good health, then it's a good time to travel. Sometimes, it's good to travel as a senior citizen. For one, your life work is basically finished. All your children have grown up and can stand on their own two feet. It's time for you to enjoy life.

By the way, your idea of spending a couple of years in another country is a good one. Just passing by on a whirlwind tour doesn't allow you to appreciate the local cuisine and culture. If you can tie in your traveling with some work, so much the better.

15. Valentino

Valentino Member

I'd first try to get a job as a travel writer or create a travel blog and once it is making me enough money to pay my travels then I would not only be doing what I love best — traveling — but also making some money off it. However if that isn't possible, I wouldn't quit my job to travel indefinitely. Getting a job these days isn't that easy after all.

16. You don't really have to wait for someone to hire you as a travel writer. If you like traveling and you like writing, you can start on your own. You don't have to travel far. Just go to nearby places. Take pictures. Talk to the people to get some local stories. Then write about it. Post it on your own blog. It only costs you about $20 a year to have your own blog. Remember that what may seem commonplace to you is probably something quite exotic to other people far away.

17. reverserewind

reverserewind Member

Nope, I'd rather work the job that would allow me to travel the world frequently and almost independently. That's cooler.

18. Miya

Miya Active Member

I think the problem with this is it's not really a 'job' and doesn't provide stable income. I seriously doubt that opening a travel blog will earn enough to cover the expense used in traveling. Unless you already have multiple successful blogs and a good source for advertising revenue, then I doubt this is plausible.

19. Francis

Francis New Member

I won't leave my job just to travel. What will happen when you get back and find that there is no any other job that you can do to earn a living? We need to be considerate so that we can not affect our future travelling plans. You can apply for a work leave and get a chance to travel or wait for holidays.

20. Ava

Ava Member

I don't think you can love off $16,000 indefinitely, but I have quite my job a couple of times to go traveling. What these kinds of articles fail to mention is that you still need a bricks and mortar home address and bank account for your credit cards, because you do need those to book tickets.

Then you need to store your belongings, and while you can leave it with family or friends, most people do have storage. Traveling can be addictive, and while you can make some money along the way, it's hard to have a career. Eventually, one has to look at healthcare and practical things, and you can only do it for so long unless you have a lot of money, say at least quarter of a million dollars to stop working for the rest of your life and to travel.

21. I agree with that. However, my suggestion is to start small. Don't give up on your job. Just travel on the weekends or during holidays or on your annual leave. Don't go too far away. Stay within your budget. However, get started. You must get started. Your blog must get started, however small. All blogs start small. Getting started is the only way to get going. It will probably take years before your blog becomes well-known. That doesn't matter. The important thing is that you have started. Plus you have gained a lot of experience as a travel writer. If you ask Uncle Google, you will find quite a lot of sites looking for travel writers. However, they all ask for your credentials. That means you need to show them that you have experience. Starting your own travel blog will give you the experience which money cannot buy.

22. christine

christine New Member

I won't quit my job just to travel indefinitely. I need my job to live a stable life, travel occasionally, and retire comfortably. I need a job to earn my pension and support my daily needs. I want to work hard while I'm still young and strong so I'll have something more solid on my retirement. I like the idea of a food and travel blog, though, and since a lot of people are interested in travelling (pressures of social media?), I can share my own experiences and give readers how-to's.

23. Go for it then! I am sure you have weekends, public holidays and annual leave. Use them to start exploring the areas near where you live. It's one way to prepare for your retirement. Don't expect your food and travel blog to start making money immediately. Use it to build up a good library of content. When people visit a site, they feel good about it when they see that there is a lot of content archived. It gives them the idea that the site is a seasoned site. So spend a few years, slowly building up the content on your blog. It would cost you only about $20 a year to have your own self-hosted blog. When you retire, you can add more content and work at making it a paying proposition.

24. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

This reminds me of my nephew in Hongkong, he owns the condo where we used to stay in our visits. But for this year's trip, we stayed in the hotel because my nephew had moved to a smaller condo unit. The reason is he quit his job and use his retirement pay to roam around the world. On his first year of retirement that started June of last year, he had been to the Philippines so many times, twice in Japan, once in Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur. He plans to buy a beach resort here in the Philippines and he said he loves to travel so he would be traveling as long as he has the money to burn. So now my nephew is the embodiment of this thread.

25. Your nephew doesn't sound like an old man yet. So what does he plan to do when his money is all burned out? Is he going back to work or has he already got plans to start his own business?

26. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

My nephew's attitude is already alarming because he seemed to be lazy not only in getting a job but even in his lifestyle. He just watches tv all day and all night, no sleeping schedule and it doesn't matter if he wakes up for lunch. His dream of buying a beach resort cannot materialize because a beach resort is very expensive and he simply couldn't afford it. All he wanted now is to gallivant by roaming the city of Hongkong and going abroad when he's got the wanderlust for it. By the way, he is coming back to the Philippines next week.

27. Uh-oh! Doesn't sound good. I suppose there's someone paying his bills for him, right? Not really sure if this is just a phase. If he were a close family member of mine, I wouldn't wait to find out how long it takes for him to get back on track. It would be such a waste of a life to just let it drift away like so much flotsam.

Corzhens likes this.