1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zika Warning In Singapore

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Corzhens, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Member

I saw in the news last week about the prevalence of the Zika virus in Singapore. Travelers are warned especially the pregnant women because the Zika virus attacks the fetus such that the newborn baby develops hollow skull where the brain had shrinked. We have a trip to Singapore next month of October and even if I am not pregnant, I am quite scared because hundreds of cases were already reported in Singapore. But in fairness to the Singaporean government, they are spraying every nook and cranny for mosquitoes that may be hiding and breeding there.

2. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Wow, I was in Singapore just back in June - so that's a bit scary. I had heard that it'd reached Indonesia but didn't hear that it was now in Singapore too, but geographically they're close so I'm not at all surprised. It does make you wonder though how quick it is spreading, it is a bit worrisome.

3. Presently I am in Malaysia. Singapore is to the south. Thailand is to the north. There are Zika cases reported in both countries. Travel between Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand is very convenient. Even if you travel by train, it takes only a couple of nights onboard to get from Singapore to Bangkok, the capital of Thailand. There are also cases of Zika reported in Klang, a town not very far from where I live. Altogether this is a worrisome situation. I am a man and there's no chance that I am going to get pregnant. Plus I am an old man, so the chances of my getting anyone pregnant is very slim. Still, I can't help worrying that this virus might mutate to infect male adults. As a senior citizen, I feel rather vulnerable to any infectious diseases.

4. Miya

Miya Active Member

I had plans to visit Singapore, but I think I'll hold it off. I don't want to risk getting infected. Hopefully they'll have the virus under control soon so people traveling there won't be worried.

5. Thanks for posting this, it's terrifying how fast Zika has already spread around the world. I'm not pregnant so that's not a concern but you really have to be wary of warm places with mosquitos. At this point, the only safe place to travel and not worry about Zika is probably Antartica. All well, most places have their health concerns. Just have to make sure you apply enough mosquito repellant before you get on the plane since you can't take it with you.

6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I'm scheduled to visit Japan in a few months and I'm worried that maybe it'll be there by then! I guess it'll be winter time by then though, so the overall prevalence of mosquitoes won't be as bad as I've experienced in a Japanese summer - but it's still scary. That's the nature of infectious diseases though, I suppose - they just travel. It is concern for me as a woman in that childbearing age group...I would be worried if something happened to me that would impact the health of my future children!

7. I can understand your concern as a woman in the childbearing age group. However, I don't think you should allow this Zika thing to spoil the quality of your life. It's not exactly the only uncertainty that accompanies every pregnancy. There are a thousand and one things which can affect a pregnancy the wrong way. Now, please understand that I am not trying to discourage you from getting pregnant. In fact, I am all in favor of women getting pregnant. It's the process of a new life in progress. So take the necessary precautions and enjoy your life, baby-making, traveling and all.